Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Weekend Plans

21 posts in this topic

Any one going out ?I have to meet up with JonS to test paddle a Tourer.Maybe try and bend a rod somewhere .Might have to stop at Devon on the way home.Anybody else gonna go out?

joev

Joev,

Might be able Devon, keep me in mind when you know yr plans.

Dougie, Millstone only an option if I make up an outrageous lie, I think, and even then would best to have alternate housing plan. So in order decide let's look at what fishing there looks like later in the week biggrin.gif

Jim

Anybody know if Arnie got out to do some recon ? I would think Devon is a sure thing for some nice schoolies on the way home.

DougieV What up ? The Fisherman said lots of bass still hitting in Thames .Water is in 45 degree range.Guys were getting them around the 2A bridge next to the Indians .I like that spot gotta put some more time in there.Doug if ya get a chance And do go can you do some recon up the Shetucket river dam in Greenville .We can hit it hard when herring start to run in the spring.Gotta be some cows in there when they are running.Check out up by the dam for access .That would be the spot to get bait.

Jons Sat am looks good weather wise.I am really looking foward to try out that Tourer.Also do you have any light weight paddles .I have a aluimuim one know .Its a little heavy but a better workout.

JimW Would ya be able to get out around lunch for schoolies at Devon.Thats when the tide will slow down from 1030- 100 Slack will be around 1145 I think .Let me know what you think.

Oh ya JimW Put your paddle in the Jeep tonight cwm13.gif

joev

cwm13.gifcwm13.gifcwm13.gifcwm13.gifcwm13.gif

I'm going to try to sneak down to Devon today or tomorrow, though it will be tough to get away, but it's warmed up a little and we haven't seen enough of these misty cloudy striped bassy days...I'm trying to talk myself into it..

Marksharky, I am kind of directionally challanged where exactly do you want to go from I know 2 places around there One Union beach and 2 the windsurfures beach on the hook , My friend was out on a tog charter yesterday and it was too rough to go out they got into the bass about 3/4 of a miles out and limited out right away

Hey NY , NJ guys you see those reports (Noreast board)on Jamica Bay .They say there is lots of bunker there big and small.With bass on them.

JonS any ideas ?

Kayakjoe what do ya think ?

Rudy have you gotten down there ?

joev

Looks like it may be a little windy OUTLOOK FOR LONG ISLAND WATERS INCLUDING NEW YORK HARBOR-

1000 AM EST THU DEC 13 2001

.FRI NIGHT THROUGH MON...WIND 25 TO 30 KT FRI NIGHT AND SAT...THEN

20 KT OR LESS SAT NIGHT AND SUN...WIND INCREASING TO 20 TO 25 KT SUN

NIGHT AND MON

joev

Looks like we're gonna be maing up our rain alotment too. Clear Saturday and 1st hald of Sunday and then rain for a few days. Looks like surf fsihig weather. Montauk is hot, so the beaches west of there should start turning on.

Right now Joey and I are probably heading east to check out all the activity there. We'll be taking the big surf rods and plugs and doing the beach thing. Joev, you could take the ferry across and join us if you've got the gear.

CT ReportSomebody said that surprisingly, one of his customers caught six weakfish, some stripers and even a couple of bluefish off the Fort Trumbull Pier last Sunday, the day after the snow storm. There are still some huge bluefish and even a few false albacore remaining in the warm water discharge at Millstone Point. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get in close enough to reach the fish. The guards are holding anglers 100 yards or so off the shore and the fish are, as always, tucked in tight to the waterfall and rocks near the outflow.

Up inside the Thames River anglers continue to catch striped bass in varying abundance and sizes. One customer trolled up a couple of 20-pound bass on wire line and multi hook, small sized "Christmas tree" tube rigs earlier this week. Others have been jigging up smaller fish anywhere from Norwich Harbor on down river to the Pequot Bridge. Fishing remains worthwhile in the upper third of the river and should continue to be good from now through spring, based on the large numbers of bass in the river throughout the fall fishing season.

Typically, there is a smattering of school bass up inside the Housatonic River mixed in with a few hickory shad. Devon Power Plant outflow always holds some stripers throughout the winter, but nowhere near the number of fish anglers see and catch in the Thames from now through April.

Western Long Island Sound is still producing some decent catches of both bass and bluefish, but according to somebody, the over all action has "waned" a good deal since last week. He noted there are still large numbers of adult bunker in both Black Rock Harbor, Milford Harbor, and the Gulf Beach area. Unfortunately, there do not appear to be the hordes of jumbo bass chowing down on them that area anglers were enjoying two or three weeks ago. Action is becoming spottier by the day. Somebody noted that one customer took a few bluefish, including a 16-pounder last Saturday, but couldn't buy a hit on live bunker the very next day.

Joev