Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dick

Drift sock ?

15 posts in this topic

Dick, you want the small boat model. Cabelas has the Go-Slo model with their name on it. Its the model that most of us have and it works well.

JonS,

Is that at yes or a no? smile.gif Is the 17" too big or is that the small boat model. It is the smallest model in the cataloge. And is the cabela's model the one everyone uses or is it a diferent model. Sorry, your reply wasn't too clear for me. icon15.gif I'm a little slow this morning.

Dick, I have that 17 in. size drift sock. It works well on my small boat and for my yak. I bought it at bass pro for about $16. Buy the smallest cheapest one you can find, no need to buy the expensive ones!

Dick, if that's the smallest one Cabelas has then its the one you want. Like MikeC said get the smallest, least expensive one you can find.

I've never used a drift sock, but everyone seems to swear by them, so I'm in. One question: Does it get in the way when you hook up? I can envision releasing it (like the anchor) when you hook up to a fish, but I'm not sure it's worth it...Any comments?

Thanks guys.

Has anyone tried to make a drift sock? They seem pretty basic. I would think a small bucket with some holes would work just fine. Anyone ever try?

The cost of the drift sock being what it is, I would think that totin' that bucket around,having to haul it in and store it while you proceed from here to there. I don't reckon that bucket will get used more than once. IMHO

Dick,

I see know reason why a bucket would not work. The only difference would be in its storage. My sock is about the size of a 16 oz. soda bottle when it's all wrapped up.

SM,

If yer gona set something up such as a float so you can drop yer anchor, why not make it so it can be used on a sock too smile.gif.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

I agree. You'd use the bucket once. A sock is so easy to use and store. I like things that are out of the way until I need them. When you need a sock there isn't a substitue. I use it much more than an anchor. I've never had a problem in fighting fish with a sock but a quick release for the anchor would provide the solution.

When we did the Glen Island fling this past September we were drifting down a shoreline and I put out my sock. Everyone was quite surprised at the difference it made. Everyone but me. Several of the guys got socks as there next kayak fishing accessory. Its a must have piece of gear.

Abucket works fine but like everyone says creates a storage problem. I had a guy make me a drift sock but then found I could buy them cheaper in bulk from a wholesaler.

Barrell

May I add that you'll want to incorporate a swivel(SS best) or brass swivel snap in the sea Achor line; either at the chute, or at the yak end, THEN, make sure that you also place a shock cord in the system. A good way to rig this is to put the swivel snap at the chute attach for benefit of extra weight and to eliminate line twist, and then tie the rope(20-40ft of 1/4"-3/8" Spectra or Vextran is best) to a Kelp anchor or bungee cord or poly snubber which is then attached to a pad eye on your kayak with a non-swiveling mini brass snap.

The smaller nylon chutes work OK and are easiest to store. Those Cabela 17 foot poly sea anchors are pretty good at slowing a drift, but have a bit more bulk.

I think under some tidal conditions using both in tandem would be effective. I have not tried that trick-but have thought about it for use in tough current and and wind conditions when the bite is on.

BTW-these are also used for slowing down bigger running fish that are towing you out to sea.

Just more thoughts on the topic...

Sharp1