Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OCSurfFishn

Fishfinder Questions

14 posts in this topic

While I wait on my Tarpon 120 Angler, I'm looking at accessories... one major one would be a Fishfinder

What kind do you have rigged up? What type of battery do you use? Rechargable? Waterproof batteries? Waterproof FF?

Submergible FF? Backlit? GPS included? Water temperature included? Fish ID included?

Lots of questiosn!

Thanks

I use an Eagle Fishmark 320 plus a 7-Amp 12-Volt Battery w/Charger from Cabelas. The Eagle provides temp and depth plus uses a suction cup transducer.

I originally wanted a combo fish finder and gps, but the Eagles and Lowrances (same company) use external antennas which require mounting the antenna on a mast.

I'm still researching gps units.

rwolson -- How much would that set me back?

Thanks for the advice!

I searched around on here and found some different things... still cornfused about the batteries... do I want rechargable AAs? Sealed Lead Acid? some other kind?

While I was in good ol' WalMart to get a cooler, I stopped at the fishin' counter and the guy looked at me like I was nuts when I said I wanted a fishfinder for my kayak... he told me I needed a 40lb car battery and I needed a dry box or something for it

Seems like 12 (8? 10? I forget) recharged NiMH batteries would work out to be a bit lighter

On some of my non-marine electronics (computers, cellphones, etc) I use lithium-ion batteries... they are much more expensive, but weigh less and last much much longer. Are these available for use on a kayak?

Thanks

OC, check the ****stuff forums there is lots of info there on fish finders and batteries if you check the archives. Plenty of how to's for the tinkering kind and lots of explanations about features.

Tight Lines Tdog

OCSurf, do check the other site mentioned above but the shortest easiest answer is in the Cabela's catalogue. You can get a 12 volt lead acid battery and a charger for about $30. Anything over 7 amp hrs is too much and even that is more that a FF will use. There are much more sophisticated solutions which are discussed at that site at length but I wonder if the learning procees is worth the advantages achieved for everyone. Certainly for some it is.

boundry waters lc-10 is "da-kine but they are a little pricey. uses 8 aa batteries and the whole unit is a little bigger then a 10 pack of cigars.

Barrell

The battery costs $30 with a charger and is about 7 " X 3.5" X 4"; nice and small.

The fish finder costs around $200. I like it because of a large screen.

I use a humminbird portable pirahna 4. It uses 8 AA batteries- I think they will probably last the whole season. I have had bad luck with AA rechargables- they don't seem to recharge.

I velcro it in place , then stick the suction cup transducer on the bottom once I get away from the shore- I wanted an east to mount small package that I did not have to mess around with.

OC,

I have a portable humminbird that I took apart. I mountd the fishfinder on a ram mount , the case that held the FF has battery compartments. I cut the handle off to make the compartment fit inside the hatch easier. It is actually mounted to the front of the footwells with wingnuts so I can easily remove to maintenance. The trans is mounted under the seat through the o hatch with vaseline and ducttape. I have to take pictures one of these days of the yak. You have to lenghten the wires to make it work.

Oh one more thing, make sure you get a ff cover. Just a little added protection.

Do you loose anything with a transducer mounted inside the hull versus a suction cup outside setup?

Rwolson....how do you go about securing the battery to the boat? Need to keep waterproof I assume?

I just ordered the Pirahna 4 and the battery you suggested from Cabela's. Starting to think about how to rig it up.

Thx

-G

Gman,

Tranny inside-

You can get some noise on the FF screen around the surface. I get a band of noise down to abt 1.5-2.0 feet which doesn't matter to me since 2 feet to bottom is clear. I think it depends on how you mount the tranny, which FF and softwear. If I put my FF into dummy mode with the little fish icons the noise disappears. I'm told I could probably tune out the noise by changing the height of the tranny above the hull (always keeping the tranny in contact with the water it sits in)

In addition to "you get what you pay for." there is also the issue of what you pay for things you take on a yak. The real pricey FFs are relative power misers and they are more sensitive as well. Since in this part of the world we seldom fish much more that 30' sensitivity doesn't seem that critical but not having to remember to recharge batteries every time out is a plus. That still leaves price and that's a personal thing but a powerful arguement for most.

Incidentally, the only way I can see 8 AA's lasting a whole season in a Pirhana is if you don't turn it on. The Pirhana draws about 200ma. the AA's have a capacity of about 750mah. That's not quit 4 hours of operation. I might be a little off on that estimate but if you get 6 hrs I would be very surprised.

I use an eagle mounted to the top of a tackle box. Wired two six volt batteries together and run the wires up through. I keep the transducer in the box and when I'm done I put the fishfinder in the box and everything is portable and secure.