Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
urbitis

Alternative to well-nuts

7 posts in this topic

I would like to add permenant mounting point to my kayak. I wanted to use a flanged type nut similar to those used in teak furnature but I don't know what to call them or where to find them. The idea would be to permenantly glue the nuts to the kayak from the inside providing a firmer mount than a well-nut.

Can anyone help?

Little more detail What are you mounting? do you have acess to the underside? Can you put in a small hatch to get to the underside. Nothing stronger than a stainles steel nut and bolt with a good backing material, ie plastic white cutting board material. What are you paddeling and where do you want to put the hole? scott

I agree with scott cant beat the good ole ss nut and bolt with backing, as long as you have the access. I also add a dab of clear silicone to the threads prior to installing them.

Can you post a photo of where you want to do the mount? I did the same thing on a Pro Explorer. It was in the rear below the drain plug. I drilled the hole, then fed a wire from outside in. I grabbed it with a stick and a hook from the center hatch. I set up a s/s bolt with a s/s fender washer then taped it to the wire. I pulled the wire out til I got the bolt to come through the hole. I put the bracket I was attaching on and loosely put on my washer and a s/s nylon nut. To tighten it, I took an extra wrench I had, cut it down, and attached a flat piece of steel to it which was flexible. I inserted it into the drain hole above, got it line up, then tightened it up with an ample supply of Goop. I cut the excess length of the bolt off, leaving enough to glue on a rubber cap.

Voila!