Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
addict

Hobie peddle yak

12 posts in this topic

Saw a Hobie yak with foot pedals. I'm sure this was already discussed sometime, but couldn't find the thread. What's the deal with these? Worthwhile or junk?

Thanks as always...

Its definately been discussed. Don't know how one gets to older posts now. Have to ask Tim. I'll check the Main forum first. The guys that have them like them alot. Barrel uses his to maintain position in moving waters. Very handy for him when he fishes bridges.

I fish some areas that are loaded with rocks and by loaded I mean they're everywhere. I have to remove the pedal system for places like these.

While I was out agin last night till 1 am. I couldn't understand how anyone is still fishing out of paddle kayaks. Once you fish out of one of theese machines their is no going back.

Barrell

Was out on sunday (mullet are staging to migrate btw).

At one point I was really hauling @ss and I heard a pop in the pedal drive. Nothing further.

As I beached I pulled out the unit and noticed that a sail/wing was cockeyed. I hadn't hit anything though. The performance didn't seem to change after the pop.

Under the overwhelming force of my brutish legs (joke I'm 155#) the chain had jumped a tooth on the front sprocket.

I was worried.

Broke out the manual and about 20 minutes later had it set back to original position/operation. Only took a 7/16" open end and SMALL vise-grips.

Getting the fins aligned while keeping the pedals even at half-way was a little tricky.

I could do it faster a second time.

The drive unit is built like a tank.

Word.

Biggie, If you have another problem take it back to the dealer. We havent seen any problems with the drive unit. I even sold one to a 250 lb Phila cop who flies around absecon inlet like a demon.

Barrell

I think the chain was just a little loose.

The pop was the sound that the hull made as the sprocket skip resonated.

I think its good.

It is nice to be able to perform all the maintenance adjustments yourself.

Biggie does your boat have the new side (towel bar handle) The reason I ask is for a couple weeks in june they shipped boats with defective locking pins on the mirage drive. They caught it quikly and sent out a notice to us dealers that we should replace the pins for customers. When the new hull design was introduced in july ( those boats had the new side handle) they had the new pins. The bad pins where popping out of the cam adjusters and tearing up the cam, Hobie will provide a new cam and pins for free if you need it.

Barrell

barrell,

I couldn't understand how anyone is still fishing out of paddle kayaks. Once you fish out of one of theese machines their is no going back.

C'mon, tell us how you really feel wink.gif

Seriously though, why don't more yakkers use these? Price?

Thanks as always...

We sold 12 of them this year .All 12 people feel the way I do. They feel they have made a leap into the future and everyone else is still in the 20th century. Try one and the price wont seem out of reach.

Barrell

I had the pleasure of riding one once. Pretty cool but the leg burn is like a stairmaster X 2.

Of course my wife says I have skinny chicken legs rolleyes.gif