Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eelball

Yak fling?

75 posts in this topic

Has there ever been one? If not, why?

who would be interested. Say late sept. early oct. whilr the water is still kinda nice and the fishing is (dare I day) better.

What a great idea!!!!!

May I suggest Little Neck Bay, both for it's abundance of Bluefish in September as well as it's easy access for kayaks?

If you like the idea, the first half of the month is better for the fish.

------------------

To all,

I have fish LNB with the kayak, you can launch easily I am up for going just let me know the date. If you don't know me I have an Wilderness Systems Alto kayak, that is enclosed with small rod holder for the fly rod

Rudy

This ain't gonna happen unless we make it happen.

Lets see how many are interested?

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A KAYAK FLING?

The first half of September has been suggested.

Do you have a preference for the date?

Lets take the first three weekends in September. Could someone check the moon and the tides?

I will attend regardless of the weekend chosen. I guess we want a Friday night late, so we can launch pre-dawn on Saturday?

Not much time to organize this one!

------------------

Sounds like we have some interest. These locations you guys are talking are unfamiliar to me, but if that's a good center location, and the fishing is good, then I have no problem traveling. Is it off the beach? South Jersey may offer easier conditions with the back bays. Just a thought. As far as the time, I could probably go any time. Does anbody wanna tackle the project of attempting to put this together?

Little Neck Bay is located in Queens, about 5 miles East of Laguardia airport. It boasts a launching ramp, sheltered water, and lots of Bluefish. It's Eastern shore is Nassau County. This is not "moving water".

As an aside, it's an early season hotspot for bass...much too cold for kayaking in March/April.

It is equally inconvenient for New Englanders and Shore-dwellers, but happens to be in my back yard.

Adequate parking, easy access, and simple directions make it an appealing destination, but I'm willing to listen to why it should be elsewhere.

Today is August 11

I'm interested but it would be nice to do it where there are fish. Jersey has been dismal so far this summer. I've only fished it once. I've yet to not catch fish in the western sound and Little Neck is fine by me. The problem that we're going to have is that we've got quite a spread out crew. there are even some people on the board from New England. NY is more central. Southern Jersy is to far for people from Mass and RI.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 08-11-2001).]

To all,

When I fish LNB it is usually March or April. You can Launch at a boat ramp right off the Northbound Cross Island parkway. At that time of year no one bothers me if I park there but I don't know what the parking regulations are in September. Something to consider. I have launched at other spots in LNB but do not have launch ramps. If the bunker are in LNB and we fish a high tide we should have some good action.

rudy

I checked a tide chart, and it kind of dictated the date. There is a secret to parking at Little Neck Bay, and all that register will be privvy to the information. If you try to park in the lot on the Cross Island Parkway, the tow-away will cost you $130. They tow from May 1 to Nov 1, and from 2PM to midnight weekdays, and all day on weekends. THEY ARE ALLOWED TO TOW 24/7! There ARE alternatives.

If my calculations are correct (no calendar) September 14 is a Saturday. We get to fish two tides if we like. Low tide is at 3:52 AM, with High at 9:15 AM. Assuming we launch at 6:00 AM, We get to fish incoming water, and even the first of the drop if the action is hot. For those who don't score the first time around, low tide is at 4 PM, and high is after dark at 9:30. I suspect the morning tide will see more action, but the evening tide has the potential for a Striper or 2. September 14 is just days before the new moon. The next weekend opportunity there is the weekend before the Fall Fling. I don't know about anybody else, but two weekends in a row is kinda pushin' it around here.

LNB is a very forgiving place for a kayak. You can paddle until your arms hurt, and STILL not encounter moving water. Although there is SOME boat traffic, almost any other harbor is worse. There are places so secluded, it's really hard to believe it's NYC.

I would have preferred the date and location were arrived at by consensus, but given the time constraints, and the weekend/tide puzzle, it's "take it or leave it" I'm afraid. Of course, this does not preclude another fling at another location on another date. Hell, it could even be the same date, if far enough away!

There you have it, who's in for 9/14?

------------------