Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Hudson River off Kingston Point is 42 degrees

54 posts in this topic

Well, isn't that interesting? The magic number is 52. It's the freaking begining of March!!!! Well, I'll keep you informed. We definitley want some folks to come and give it a go. It's a very manageable river, minimal boat traffic, and big fish in the spring. Stay tuned for more..... ScottO

Hmmmmm the Herring will be here shortly. Anyone have inkling on the shad? S

Historically the pinnacle of Striper fishing in this section of the Hudson is the week or two before and after Mothers Day. They will frequently stack up heavily at the Tap and sit there waiting for the water to become agreeable.

Now this year I heard the salinity line has moved north from Newburgh/Beacon to the Poughkeepsie area already. This means that it could push to hyde park and norrie point in the next couple of weeks if we don't get some rain. All this should cause the bass to move further north in more numbers. This means the tributaries may be better candidates for stripers this year as well as furhter up the Hudson towards Catskill and Albany.

I'll keep mentioning information as I get it. Tight Lines, Scott

JonS I was told at the fishing show that you did not need a license to the first obstacle in the river(dam or something like that)Thats what they told me .Dont know how true that is.

Any idea what a out of state NY license would cost ?

joev

From the Division of Fish, Wildlife & Marine Resources

Who Needs a License?

Everyone must have a valid fishing license in their possession while fishing, except:

Persons under 16 years of age.

When fishing waters of the Marine District or in the Hudson River south of the Troy Barrier Dam.

Note: A fishing license is required on the entire length of all Hudson River tributaries south of the Troy Dam to the Tappan Zee Bridge even if the tributary is subject to tidal flow.

When fishing on licensed fishing preserves.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...4clic.html#Who Needs a License

One interesting note: you don't need a freshwater license to fish for stripers on the Hudson, but the 54lber caught last year qualified as a state "freshwater'' record.

I"m guessing nobody was looking at the tidal stage.

Here's my basic understanding of Stripers in the Spring time...the condensed birds and bees format.

As I understand it the Striper requires a freshwater habitat to spawn, thus the Hudson river as a choice. Spawning takes place above the salinity line so it must occur usually north of the greater newburgh area and this year probably north of the poughkeepsie area. Remember as the salinity line moves north, all the tributaries to the first dams, natural or man made are going to be salty too. So I would assume this will push the fish further north.

Apparently water temperature is everything to these guys. I believe 52 degrees is the move in temp, but a bit higher is required for actual spawning. I think. Now for the spawing...see the buck sidles up to the female and asks what's a cute cow like you doing in a PCB laden river like this...well, maybe I'll skip this part.

Apparently the fish are so temperature sensitive that they will enter the river and hole up in the waters down stream waiting for the right moods or temperatures or moon phases. They then tend to move in giant schools. Often so large they will turn the fishfinder black with echos. Enroute they will nosh on the eels in the river as well as the herring that entered about 2-4 weeks before them. Find the schools of herring, you'll usually find fish. Santiago II has had some success with sabikiing(is this a word?)herring then using them to bait up for Stripers. Ask him about his 20ish pounder on a sabikki rig.

Once they fish spawn they are on the move south and out into the ocean again. Start to finish with average temps/river/rain...about 6ish weeks. No there is no fall migration.

There are resident bucks/schoolies that live in the river, typical schoolie sizes to about 3-5 pounds.

Licenses. You do not need a license to fish the main river from the ocean to the first dams in Troy. You will need a freshwater license to fish all tributaries. There's a spot up here on the Roundout that with yaks we can get right up to the dam. Lot's of fish there. Herring, shad, large mouth, perch, stripers, etc. If you yak, you have to consider this place. A real stinker to get into, but worth the hike in.

There are lots of places to enter the water as well as surf cast from the western shore. No train tracks to cross and plenty of room to fish. If anyone is interested we (Santiago II and myself) are going to try and host a GTG this spring when the season gets going.

Still learning alot about how to catch these fish. We can usually find them but getting them to bite can be difficult. There are some great flats in the area and this year I'm considering getting out there on the yak in the late evening and trying some plugs on an incoming. Hoping the fish move up onto the flats for the bait. On an outgoing, the area just south of the flats (the dunes) offers 20ish foot water over a series of 5 dunes. We are guessing/hoping the fish will sit there waiting for scraps to get knocked of the flats and gobble it up.

This is one small area of about 3 good spots I know of here. The others have offered big fish in big numbers as well. This one is a bit more kayak and shore accessible. Like I said last year or the year before a kid took a 50 plus pounder on chunk under the Kingston Rhinecliff bridge. They do get big. My biggest about forty inches and 30 plus pounds. Hope this was at least entertaining if not useful. Get ready...they'll be back soon. Scott