Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott Shaw

Lake Baggin'

10 posts in this topic

Since I got my first yak in 1984 I have been trying to kayak as many different lakes as I can.Probably way too in to it,but I started a list to keep track.Now that my wife has got into kayaking,we try to bag a new lake as often as possible.Try it,you will like it!I will head up to the eastern sierra next month to try and bag some more lakes.I will take several fishing setups,the fall bite is coming.Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Shaw (edited 08-26-2000).]

That is so cool, I am always thrilled (and slightly jealous) to hear of someone who's wife joins them in what they love to do outdoors! Kudos to you and your wife Scott, may you bag every lake within a days drive! biggrin.gif

TimS

A days drive my butt! Last spring we (my livelong pal)went on a **** safari to So. Oregon and back.We fished two different streams and two lakes.The score? 5 brown trout up to 19",25 to 30 rainbow trout up to 18",smallmouthbass,shorties but plenty of them and one large bluegill,and one kokonee salmon. One lake had a nesting pair of Bald eagles.One beautiful sight to have the eagle buzz the lake at sundown with fish in talons,and then swoop up to it's nest.You can not buy stuff that grand,you just have to be lucky enough to be there.Despite all the negative info about how our planet is going down the toilet,there is still plenty of real good stuff out there.Good luck on your ventures.Scott Shaw

Those big browns will be running in Crowley soon. Wbere did you fish in Oregon? 2 summers ago I drove out to a race camp at Mt. Hood and spent 2 weeks fishing the John Day River. I also spent a couple days fishing the Umpqua. My biggest smallie went 21" and I estimated her at 5 plus pounds. She was quite a fight on 4# line and rod rated for 1/32 - 1/8 lures. I've also fished Steenykill Mtn. That's a very interesting place if you've never been there and just below it is Mann's Lake where the trout are huge. Eastern Oregon and Nevada are great. Beautiful and unspoiled and out there. The Jarlberg River is another great spot. 100 - 200 redbands a day. My first excursion into the Great Basin was to the Reese River in the Toyabees. I caught brookies, cuts and browns. The Basin is weird how the rivers just evaporate into the desert. Other than the Sierras I never fished freshwater much in California. Have you fished any of the lakes in the I-80 Recreation Area? They'd be great in a kayak. Bowman's got some nice big trout in itn and there's app 40 lake in the area all accesible via 4WD.

Crowley?I will probably drive right past.The problem is that they go to a restrictive regulation situation after I believe Aug. 31.O'k for fly fishing,but I like hooks and trolling.I will let alot go any way but the rest of the eastern sierra does not have all the restrictive regs at that time of year.I have no negative issue with conservation,but I am not going to file the barbs off all my rapalas.In regards to Oregon we fished on my buddy's uncle's ranch out of Bly,Oregon on the Sprague River.It looks like an irrigation ditch at that point,slooping sides and murky water,but Brown native trout have been caught right there up to 27".My personal best was 23" in 1996.I pulled a nice one out this spring about 19" next to an old rotten couch that had hung up on a snag.Pristine?Well it is exceptional trout fishing,take it or leave it.I do love Oregon,the potential is outstanding.I believe the key is going to places not famous,the locals in some areas do not hit it that hard.I have been to some of the lakes off of I-80,but not in a yak.In late September the plan is to go to the **** tourniment at Redondo Beach in So. Calif ,then return home and change kayaks ( I like a conventional yak in the quiter cold waters) and fish the Mammouth lakes,June lakes,And possibly Lundy,Saddleback,and then drop back west into Yosemite park at the lakes near Tioga pass.After that I will probably be in therapy with either carpal thunnel syntrum or tenitis.Live is *****,but the fishing must go on!Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Shaw (edited 08-28-2000).]

TimS, Jealous????? Shoot you married a Saint!!!!! Believe me in 20 or more years you will be glad she doesn't like to do what you like to do.....it is the only opportunity you'll have to get some peace and quiet.... wink.gif

I have been married to the same chick for 31 years,or is it 32? Any way ,I remember the 30th year costing some big-bucks.She still hauls her half of the canoe ,from the top of the Jeep ,into the back bay at IBSP! Does she clean fish...NAWHHHHHH...but she baits her own hook ! Aside from our two kids... her greatest day was catching a keeper on Mother's Day ! She's still talk'en about it...30",31",... 32" I can't remember!

[This message has been edited by olmanc (edited 08-29-2000).]

Well here's the deal;first I didn't get married until 30 years old.I test drove quite a few tell I found one with an education,and income,and a family I could live with for the long run.Am I really that smart? Probably not but I never disregard luck as a factor,be it marrige or fishing.We have our "together vacation",and she has her and the girls vacation,and several times a year I wanderlust to the hills for a week or so.That and seperate checking accounts is the secret of our marriage.21 years and counting and so many more lakes to paddle.Scott

The secret to my 28 years of marrage is work opposite shifts and like opposite things....LOL!!!! wink.gif

Now if she could or would tie flies I might appreciate her liking fly fishing!! Till that happens I'm glad she likes tennis better.

Even different days off helps.I have Friday/Saturday and she has Saturday/Sunday.It gives me a non weekend day to hit the water with a lot less company(jet ski's,water ski's,peopleski's)If a big trip comes up she takes a Friday and me a Sunday and bingo,a three day weekend.Her appetite for fishing is absolute zero,but perhaps that is a blessing.I had a girlfriend years back that would hunt and fish;anything I liked to do.After I let her move in,I couldn't hardly take a dump without her breathing over my shoulder.That got old real quick.Point is ,it's nice to have your wife interested in your fun stuff,but a guy needs some space to move.Incidently my wife has similar concerns.What a deal.Maybe she better not be checking out this post, I don't want to tempt fate.Scott