Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
srcbasstard

how to maintain a hobie outback after heavy action

9 posts in this topic

i have had the hydradriven kayak for just over a year and this thing has taken a beatin. i am very satisfied with my purchase but i would like to protect it.

any reccomendations on recoating the hull;

the are many scrathes and a few small gouges

can they be waxed like a surfboard or even compounded like a car.

i am lost guys on this one any suggestions are greatly appreciated

salvo

live life, fish hard!

HI, really no reason to try and rid yourself of fine scratches and minimal gouges. If there is anything that looks like it could break through, then you will need to repair. The best suggestion is talk to someone like Jon Shein about repairing if needed. He's very experienced with doing so. For otheres, an iron set on very low, some very fine sand paper, but anything you do has potential of doing more harm. Every swipe with sandpaper is taking plastic away. Good Luck. Scott

Why bother, I have a yak that is 15 years old and has been used for sledding down the mountain behind my house, has been sitting outside in the uv year round ,and has been towed behind my polorais in the snow for many miles. Scratched and chewed up? yes, ready for the graveyard? not even close!!!!

If you fish hard you cant be worried about chewing up your hull. Its the nature of where and how we fish that equipment will get beat up. I broke two rods this year and the year isnt over yet.

I watched two guys recently show up at a fishing spot. It took them 45 minutes to baby their yaks off the custom racks on their trucks and then get all their gear ready and finaly get in the water. Are you kidding me. Thats 45 minutes of fishing time waisted. I wasnt there when they left but I imagine it took another 45 minutes to remove all the usless electronics and other usless gear and pack it all away etc.etc.etc.etc.

Barrell

Heh! Heh!

I got a yellow Hobie and hate when it starts to look like a lemon that was left way too long in the refrigerator.

Believe me, I don't baby the thing; after all it's just a fishing tool. And I try to maintain my fishing equipment.

.... took them 45 minutes to baby their yaks off the custom racks and then get all their gear ready and finaly get in the water..... it took another 45 minutes to remove all the usless electronics and other usless gear .

Barrel- I feel your pain.....I usually take one rod, pocket full of lures and I'm on the water...

lotta these yak fisherman would be big fans of.....

goldberg.gif

303 will help with uv resistance, yes they due fade,a nd that is degradation sings. When you use the 303, it is slippier than goose poop on a wet dock. I avoid the seating area so I dont slide out. these are plastic, durable and when cared for just a little should last a decade at least. S

i have had the hydradriven kayak for just over a year and this thing has taken a beatin. i am very satisfied with my purchase but i would like to protect it.

any reccomendations on recoating the hull;

the are many scrathes and a few small gouges

can they be waxed like a surfboard or even compounded like a car.

i am lost guys on this one any suggestions are greatly appreciated

I posed the same query to Hobie ( about using a surface protectant,polish, etc.) on my Sport..told them I stored it on it's side under a tarp,rinsed off the drive after salt water use and occasionally gave it a bath with carwash product. They said that was it....that's all the care it required.

About that rinsing off...I found that one of the handiest things I threw in the car was one of those pump-up spray canisters I had kicking 'round down the cellar filled with water..A quick swipe cleans off the salt,gunk,seaweed and such off the boat (and myself included).