Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SG1

night yaking question

5 posts in this topic

What are the regs for kayaking at night(in NJ)?

I've been told that a hand-held light is sufficient.

Is that so? Does it have to be on at all times?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

We were out the other night when I realized a boat had snuck up right behind me. It was the state marine pd. I reached up and turned on my headlamp he just asked how the fishing was and then moved on. A lifejacket at least on board the yak is required. Capt mike and I also put reflective tape on each side of our bow and stern.

Barrell

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of a headlamp. Barrel, is there a particular type/model that you prefer, and where can I get one locally (ocean county area)?

We selland prefer princton tec led style lights. They are avaliable for sell everywhere. We also carry the 2aa scottys anchor light system but I dont use one myself because the bridges we fish under are well lit. If I was fishing in a real dark area I would put one on. Note that the led headlamp does not cast a beam into the distance. If power boat traffic is a concern carry a conventional flashlight so you can cast a beam at oncoming boats so they are aware of your location. I dont carry a strobe but I always felt where boat traffic could be dangerous that a strobe might be good to have.

Barrell