IGFA world record

Thought that might get your attention. biggrin.gif

If you visit this site you will see that the 8# class world record slot seems (oddly) empty. All of y'all know by now that the yak is a perfect vehicle for big fish on light tackle. What do you bet that one of us could set a substantial mark in this class this year?

I think I'll be shopping for some IGFA 8# rated line for the Tica Taurus 3500 I'm looking for. smile.gif

Chris

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 02-28-2002).]

Good idea Porter, probably only needs to be a 60 lber.

cwm35.gif

Jim

[This message has been edited by JimW (edited 02-28-2002).]

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I think the two pound class could be very exciting to try for. Keeping a rod IGFA certified on the back of the yak for times certain contact will happen. Never know it could work well. I'm gonna keep a rig set aside for that. Doesn't take up much room...wonder what the two pound class is for Blues. Any ideas? Scott

The yak is the best platform for breaking line class records. I caught a 230lb Thresher on 20# Stren w/ a 48# soft steel leader (12inch). 20# is enough to tow your weight. I probably only let out 200 yards of line during the first hour of battle. For the last 2 hours, I might have gained back 100 yards plus. 98% of my battle was just him towing me. For more resistance, I make sure I'm being towed sideways (kayak is pointing perpindicular to direction shark is swimming). The first few times I caught them, I pointed the bow in the direction the shark was swimming. NO GOOD!!! Those times, they towed me much farther than if I had been sideways.

BTW, I checked. The 20lb line world record for Threshers was only 256. Close, but no cigar. Still, what a blast to fight'm on the light stuff.

8# record is a 41.8 lb bass

He must have fought that fish for easily over an hour. Then when the poor fish suffocated and died it must of took him a half hour just to land the dead fish without breaking the line. But also think about how many fish did this guy kill before he caught this W/R catch? Is it really worth it? The IGFA should start using there heads and stop coming up with these types of world records on such lite #test line knowing the fish will be long dead before its landed. What a shame.

[This message has been edited by FLYRODDER (edited 03-01-2002).]

Not to belittle your accomplishment jas (in fact, WOW what a fish) but 20# stren probably tests out at well over 20# unltimate strength, if not close to 30#. If you ever apply for a record, not only does the fish have to be dead (weighed at a certified scale) but you have to send the line in to the IGFA for testing and they push it into the next heaviest line class over where it tests (i.e. if it fails at 26# in testing, they push you to the 30# class).

This is why I said something about "IGFA rated" line in my first post. Some manufacturers will guarantee that their line will not test over the poundage listed on the label. In other words, if you buy IGFA rated 20# test line, the maunufacturer is claiming that it will fail at no more than 20# of load. cwm24.gif

Chris

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 03-01-2002).]

Jas, thanks for bringing up the sideways approach to dragging down a big fish. Everyone always looks at me like I'm nuts when I talk about using that approach. It only takes about 5 minutes with a big fish to realize that this is the only way to go (unless you like long trips).

I also find 20 lb overtest line to be the way to go. I've broken off on 17lb test (probably close to it's stated breaking strength), but with 20+ line I can pull three ways to Sunday and not break off. The only time the 20 seems light is with fish that like to shake their heads out of the water.

Just and excuse to ramble, thanks for the opening.

Laus Deo

Some "light" tackle records are not what they should be. There is not a time limit that the fish needs to be on the line. I have been onboard(in the past) when a customer has wanted to "set" a record. From a boat it takes on a whole different set of parameters to deal with. You can back down, leader strengths can be higher than the line strengths. You can bait and gaff at the boat, if you have no sense of fair play, sharks are easy for this type of "record". Having been involved with(and never again) light tackle tournaments and clients, who just want to "put their names" on the books, I have great respect for those attempting to set a record from a kayak, shore, or other"primitive" methods. I hope to some day.