Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayakfishinguy

Perception SOTs ??

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone here have any experience or thoughts of the Perception SOTs ? I am interested mostly in the Caster (12.5) but also in the Illusion.

Good platform for fishing? The Caster is very wide ... I imagine very slow (?).

Had a Prism which was replaced by the Illusion. Very nice ride and had a lot of fun in it. Only traded it in for a smaller lighter SIT w/ a rear well. Only used it for fishing BTW so I don't know how it does for touring,etc. Though I thought it was an easy paddling yak.

In the Mid to late 90's, Perception was, in my opinion, leading the way with SOT's. When i bought my perception Swing in '98, it was a great yak. In fact I just sold my last one about a month ago. They were heavier because they were thicler plastic; the Swing handled it all, ocean, swells, surf, flat calm, class2-3 rivers. It was a rgeat yak. In fact if you look in Australia, you'll find they are very big in perceptins, especially the swings. the problem with perception was they didn't feel the need to modernize their designs and as such really got lost in their SOT direction. I found the illusion to be a tad tight in the seat for my 6ft, 235 pound frame, the swing was like sittig in a rocking chair. Big wide seat, moved well, definitely a wet ride. wouldn;t hesitate to recomend them, especially if looking for an "all purpose" yak, except I think the wilderness system tarpon 120 has more to offer at this point. Again, another mfr that was willing to grow and move forward in the SOT department. Scott

i have a perception bimini, which i enjoy out here in the pacific, chasing stripers and salmon.

i like it because the seat and footwells are deep, therefore i am less top heavy. however it is a beast on land. it weighs 70 lbs without gear, mine must weigh 95 with all the gear.

Thanks for the comments. I bought one yesterday, as I knew a dealer in CT that was selling the 12.5 caster with the rudder for 576! That was a great price so I grabbed it even without paddling it.

I really wanted the prowler, but for this price this is a great introduction for me to a SOT. Recently, I am coming to think that my final SOT is going to be the Hobie Outback (pricey, but very nice boats). Also, how long will it be before Perception and WS or OK are making their pedal boats (for hundreds less) ??

By the way, the caster "looks" like a pretty nice boat. I expect great primary stability, like the Acadia, but a slow boat.

again, thanks for the help, all

I don't think you'll see any other peddle yaks while the patent is still good on the Hobie drive.

Shame though, there are better hulls for the drive.

Not that I'm really complaining, it does what I want it to do.

I would be surprised that they could really "lock-up" the IP on such a primitive and fundamental concept. Pedal boats have existed for years, thus their invention that was patentable seems to be their specific drive mechanism. So, I surely guess engineers are working to come up with "other" versions that are either patentable or will not infringe.

By the way and interestingly, I searched the patent office for their US patent and can not locate one!? Also, their website claims "worldwide patenting" but gives no numbers.

Anyone have the patent number for their invention? I'd like to read it.

Not a Hobie expert; but I believe the mechanism is made in Germany.

Know there's been a couple of tries at making a good peddle drive but it seems this is the only one that has made it workable and I guess profitable.

We'll see what happens. The Hobie's been around awhile and no one's tried yet.

I searched the patent office for their US patent and can not locate one!? Also, their website claims "worldwide patenting" but gives no numbers.

Anyone have the patent number for their invention? I'd like to read it.

If it's 'pending' (meaning not yet complete) you wouldn't find it in the patent files would you?

Ishmael - yes, the search would have turned up recent applications as well.

I'll look again .. but, if anyone owns one of these things and can find a US patent number, please post it here. I'd like to see it.

found it...

US 6,022249

AUS 728773

bahamas1149

NZ502346

thailand11658

Pend ing in: Brazil, Canada, China, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Singapore

whew!!!!!