Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimW

Hull scatches

18 posts in this topic

I seem to remember the suggestion that if you went over a lightly scratched surface of polyetheline with a propane torch, again lightly, it would smooth it out. You obviously can't do this to a Baggie but there should be enough mass in a yak hull to prevent it from heating too quickly.

Try it and let us know.

if you have access to a long extension cord, a heat gun (used to heat electrical shrink wrap) works wonders and is a little more safe with a less intense heat presentation. just my HO.

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

I've done major and minor repairs with a torch. There's definitely a learning curve. For superficial scratches you just 'brush it across. MAKE SURE you don't hold it over and plastic for more than a second at a time.

Ocean Kayak's web site has a section on repairs, but they use a heat gun (much safer).

It really is just a cosmetic issue. Most of your scratches run fore and aft have little effect on speed. I have seen more negative effects than good from folks trying to fix them. Consider them merit badges, you are putting your yak to good use.

The use of of the two words "heat and plastic" in the same sentence coming out of my mouth should be considered dangerous. I'll pass on flames, a heatgun on the other hand could be a good thing. I'm sure we've all burnt a piece of plastic at one time or another in our lives..and you know when it drips on your hand cause you aren't paying attention and it hurts like heck...well a kayak, it's bigger than that.

I saved up all the plastic that i cut when i stalled my hatches. Is there a way i can fuse it into any large scratches i may get? Its a cobra explorer by the way

------------------

Bass before Babes

We could go off into a long brain numbing discussion abvout laminar versus turbulent flow but in the end I would side with Beagle. The scatches that run lengthwise definitely slow you down but it would be hard to measure how much. I bought my Explorer to fish and it does that as well now as before it fell off the roof of my truck on rt 80 at 70mph.

Scratches, smatches. smile.gif My Explorer is not pretty, and it's only a few months old. Sure, I clean and wash it from time to time, but I keep it out on my patio, and lower it off the second floor of my apartment bldg everytime I go fishing. Scratches on the bottom of the hull enough to think they were designed to be there. icon15.gif So long as it floats, it'll fish. icon14.gif

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif

I have another post on this under the title "what happens when.." In any event the kayak has a few black marks and a few scratches. I have had it out fishing three times since. My SUV is having its hatch replaced as I write this. I'm hoping for sonmething less than $2500.