Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yoyo130

fishin buddy fishfinders by bottomline

5 posts in this topic

These look like some trully great units. Seems to have everything a yakkker would want; no messy tranducer gluing, no bulky batteries(runs on 3 C), and all encased in a waterproof, manageable unit. Add great price of around 150 and the added side finder it beats me why anyone would get anything else!! Is there something i dont know about, or any hidden obstacles when faced with kayaking applications? ANy body have one? What you guys say?

yossi

I had one mounted on the front of my Stealth. Excellent unit for that application due to it's sidefinder. Hear the audible fish alert....cast in that direction....pow fish on.

although i dont own a yak i do own a fishin buddyII and used it on my 10' jon boat...i never used teh sidefinder, didnt trust it because i could never figure out the filter, i only used it to locate depth and contour...it really is a great peice of equipment although i never tried it in the salt, i was fearful that it would corrode too easily.

I've got a fishin' buddy II, the sidefinder and the fish locator works great...I've used it in clear water where I could verify the results. I have used in a canoe and on my boat where the C clamp can clamp on the gunnel. But I am at a loss as how to mount it on the yak. You can hand hold it for readings, but that is tedious. And the other thing is, in the canoe at least, it creates drag. I am looking at getting one like has been mentioned previously on the board... from that fellow in MN.

I have the Fishin Buddy II and was just about able to clamp it on a Loon sitin kayak. Haven't seen any corrosion problems after using it 6 times in the salt, but I was careful to wash it down afterwards. Only use it on new, unfamiliar water now because paddling against the drag became too much of a hassle. The nine-degree cone angle is narrower than other models. Other than that, the Buddy II has worked well in defining structure and putting me on fish. The sidefinder is a necessary feature for shallow water.

JoeA