Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
totallyshradical

Anchors and Kayaks

11 posts in this topic

I have fished from my kayak in only fresh water and have done some surf fishing but if i want to get out there for stripers this year in my kayak i wanted to know what type of places are best to go? Estuaries and rivers and such. Also with the tides and/or currents is an anchor necessary? I have seen those small kayak anchors and was wondering if those are necessary and whether or not they work well.

I asked that question on another kayak fishing site several months ago, and the general consensus was that even the people that had one, said that it was very rare. Defiinately not necessary.

Good luck

Depends whats below the surface. I have one of those little folding yak anchors I use sometimes when I am sittin out just past the breakers they dont hold well in sand but they do ok in rocky areas. Hope this helps.

It really depends on where you're fishing. Saltwater - river - bay areas, I'm anchored up 95% of the time I'm fishing. I wouldn't bother fishing these places with out an anchor.

In the fresh water I'd say at least 50% or more of the time I'm anchored.

I don't troll when I'm in the kayak, maybe if I did, I'd use the anchor less.

I'd say it's a necessity smile.gif .

I have an anchor that has never been wet. I'm usually always trolling - paddle speed on kayak is the absolute perfect troll speed + you can really cover alot of water.

Anchor is useful but a drift sock is much better

how is that true when fishing a bridge?

depends what your doing. if you plan on open ocean stuff or trolling then obviously an anchor isnt necessary. if you are going to hit a specific piece of structure and want to fish it a certain way (swing a jig behind a current break created by pilings, etc) then you need to be stationary and its a must. in my experience thats the best way to target fish like stripers that tend to relate to structure in numbers. why paddle around aimlessly hoping for a surface strike when you can hammer on fish that are stacked up? i dont think drifting allows you to work deep structure effectively and fish arent always on top

I agree that if fishing structure an anchor is a must (watch where you tie it off on the yak). But trolling doesnt necessarly mean fishing high in the water column. Trolling a tube in worm works closer to the bottom - in fact if you slow your paddle down too much you're likely to get hung up on rocky bottoms.

understood but how you gonna troll that tube inside a current break created by an icebreaker? in the off chance that you manage slalom trolling successfully, how long is the mighty tube in the strike zone behind said break and how often can you duplicate this feat? i understand that in this world the tube does all but i still say it depends what the dude is doing which he hasnt really told us yet. dude?