Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
titusg

Navigator vs Fish n Dive

14 posts in this topic

Looking for educated opinions. Fish n dive is whipping my ***. But I love Cobra. Is there a significant difference. Speed, stablity and weight are important to me in that order.

[This message has been edited by titusg (edited 08-05-2002).]

The FnD is a great kayak as long as you don't want to cover any distance. It doesn't glide well. The Navigator isn't much faster but it does glide. Its 5" narrower and not only much lighter but so much easier to handle. I fish one regularly in freshwater and paddle a Tarpon most of the time in the salt. As to stability, its still a stable kayak, but within the scope of the 4 Cobras commonly used for fishing (Tourer, FnD, Nav and Explorer) it is the tippiest. It has a high seat position like the FnD but is narrower. Its a very fish friendly kayak and very popular. It accepts accessories easily too.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 08-05-2002).]

As a FnD owner I'm very happy with mine and don't mind the extra time it takes to cover some distance. I am not a distance paddler anyway, I'm inshore and structrue fly fishing oriented. If you pland to do long tours and finding underwater structure to fish with bait or lures then listen to Jon and he'll be able to help. Better yet go to the next Demo Day and try em out.

titusg -

I have a Navigator, which I like a lot. I am a tall guy (6 feet 7 but only about 215 lbs.) so it works well for me.

I am in Northern VA near DC (you are near Richmond, right?) maybe we can hook up for some fishing (I have not done too much this summer frown.gif) and you can feel free take my Navigator for a spin...

Chris

I'd love to Chris. I'm on call here in Richmond this weekend but next week would be great. I've got a relative in the area, so you're water or mine? I'm still excited about the location In Virginia Beach Darrell took me too.

titusg -

I am unavailable the next 2 weekends (out of town), but the 24-25 and Labor Day weekend are strong possibilities to head your way or to Va Beach.

I much prefer getting together for some fishing wink.gif one way or the other...

BUt in the meanwhile if you are planning to be up in this area at some point, give me a holler and I'll be happy to have you take it out for a spin (I am very close to the Potomac River and 4 Mile Run near Reagan Nat'l airport) I just need a day or so notice so my roommate can move his huge vintage car out of our garage to facilitate yak transport cwm35.gif

Chris

[This message has been edited by C.Salp (edited 08-07-2002).]

With regards to fishing possibilities...

in addition to the Va Beach area, I have been wondering about possibilities in the VA part of the middle Ches. Bay...

I wonder about launching spots that might be close to areas where some of these schools of breaking bluefish (with a few spanish macks mixed in) that I am hearing about....

or even bottomfishing for spot (the large ones should be on the move soon) and other fish...

just thinking out loud...don't know what is viable in that area of the Bay...any thoughts?

CS

As to the middle Cheaspeake Bay. I've been skunked at West Point, Virginia twice. Most boats that launch from there have been going quite a ways down river toward the sea. I can't paddle far enough to reach them or so I'm told. After that the problem I see is access. Some times I say let the people who have the bay save the bay. On a recon my wife and I found less than two hundred yard that had public access within 60 miles.

Not a big problem if you're talking fresh water. I just haven't found the salt water acces and fish.

Croaker and Spots were are on the menu after Darrel and I hit Lynnhaven Inlet.

I'll have to do more research.