Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarioB

Hobbie Kayak

4 posts in this topic

Hi my name is Mario I am 16 and this is my first posted topic. I was wondering if a Hobbie Kayak would be good for me to go out about 100 yards from Belmar beach and fish for fluke and stripers . I like to fish on the jetty but on the jetty you only have certain water limits I want to be able to ride out pretty. What would be a good beginner kayak for me?

The hobie outback foot propelled kayak is the best fishing kayak in the world today. Now, you are young and small and dont need such a big expensive kayak to go out 100 yards and fish. Look at a cobra Explorer it will fill your needs quite nicely and for less than half the price.

barrell

If I were to buy a cobra could I put a fish finder on it? Could I go out 1 to 4 miles out into the ocean or do I have to stay in by the bay? If I catch a nice 5 pound fluke where am I gunna put it?

Mario, I put a fishfinder on an explorer over 10 years ago. Then realized that permanent mounted fishfinders arent the way to go. Portables can be rinsed off and dried after every session without all the wear and tear on the wiring and connections. In most fishing situations you dont need one anyway. You start out saying you want to go 100 yards and then want to go 4 miles. I have never taken my yak 4 miles off the beach and neither should you. A mile however is fairly safe once you learn how to paddle and build your strength.

Start out in the bay.There are plenty of nice fish to be caught in the bay.

The explorer is easy to rig with whatever do-dads you want and has plenty of room for that big fluke in a fishbag.

barrell