Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsinbad

PFD's & what to hang from it?

28 posts in this topic

I'm beginning to look for a PFD for my new yak from you know who. I'm new to yakking and I don't swim extremely well. I'm afraid I may be overthinking this issue. I have read from previous threads that some of you have Lotus PFD's. What about Extrasport? What make and models would you guys recommend for me?

Also, what do you guys hang from your PFD's (strobe, VHF, GPS, hand grenades?)

Thanks for all the help.

MrSinbad Find one that is comfortable and fits ya well.I would find one with big pockets and a couple of D rings to hook stuff to.Go to a yak shop and try them on sitting in a yak.Lots of nice different brands just check them out.

joev

joev, good answer. I'm lokin for one too. I'm a decent to good swimmer. But I gotta have one, I'm a safety type of person. I'm thinkin about the AC show. Will there be any kayak type stuff there? Anybody heard from Barrel in a while.

Cabela's Quick clip combo or Rapala's Sportsman's Kit look like they would come in handy. The kits have either pliers, knives, clippers, hook sharpener and jig eye buster on a lanyard or belt hook.

OK Jon, I'll bite. Where's Paddlesport? I quess it's up your way. I was thinkin doesn't Barrel have or work at a store. And since it's close to AC maybe I could you know slide over there.

Heard from Barrel he was in Florida for a while.

I think the SOS suspenders are nice .A little pricey if ya are on a budget.

Thought I heard that Kayakjoe rescued a guy in NY .Because his didnt work when he hit the water.

joev

I'll hang it out and say, right from the start, that you should NOT buy a solid foam PFD. Why? Let me say that I have had many and the good ones. They sure do float you well, but they are thick, and crawl up your neck, and they push you forward in the seat the thickness if the foam, they take up a good amount of room to store and most have crummy netting-type pockts that rip and tear easily. They are hot hot hot in the sweaty dog days of summer too!

The best PFD going by far, IMHO, is the SOSpenders inflatable vest PFD. It honostly doesn't feel like you are wearing one at all! These will not add insulation and are not hot to wear. Nothing there really but some empty cordura nylon fabric and a harness. With one of these on, you get complete freedom of movement for paddling/casting, portaging. Easy/slim to store on a hanger too, or in a tote box.

Which one? Get the SOSpender's World Class chest pack. It is essentially the largest capacity model (will float 380 #)with four(4) pockets on the front. Two are zippered and will fit a VHF radio (you want the radio on your vest BTW), and two are velcro secured flap pockets. I carry all the tackle I need in tube containers within these pockets. This vest has a good D ring for attaching gear too. I put a boga grip w/retractor lanyard on mine when surf fishing.You could easily also put a handheld Etrex GPS in the opposite pocket (Radio and GPS)

Also, get a strobe and clip it into the provided inner strap on the SOSpenders vest. You don't know it is in there, but if you need it it is available(they thought of this!)

So I have lights, H2O proof disposable camera, tackle, fish gripper, radio all in the vest.Oh yeah-forcepts too-pinched to vest flap.

I opted for the manually activated model, as I tend to get wet alot. I bought a couple of re-arming kits that I carry in the truck in case I deploy it.

If you get the auto opening model, first wave over the bow, or a wet landing, you'll look like a puffer fish!

This vest is all I need, and also works great to wear when surf fishing. The only minor hitch with these is that if you were ever in the situation of being swept out to sea and afloat for extended periods(days?), then you may have to augment the inflation with the manual inflator tube. If you are expecting to bob the oceans blue like Kon Tiki, or get run through by a swordfish bill, then don't get an inflatable.

Where to get these? Boater's World, West Marine, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops and the SOSpenders web site.

In fact, go to the company web site, see what is new, call and ask for customer service and familiarize yourself with what they are now selling and who can sell them to you. Don't expect your local salesman to be up to speed on these. BE proactive. It is your butt on the line-guard it! Good luck.

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 01-24-2002).]

Sue should be manning the fort at rbbsurf.com in Brigantine. Barrell has several brands of PFD's to chose from including the inflatable kind. I got my Lotus there. BIG difference from the Stearns that I had before.

joev writes:

Thought I heard that Kayakjoe rescued a guy in NY .Because his didnt work when he hit the water.

Joe you heard right. I read the story Joey had posted. If Joey wasn't there to save him the guy could have died.

mrsinbad,

My 2 cts is keep it simple, especially if you aren't a strong swimmer. I have a Lotus pfd I like a lot. It's got softer foam than cheaper pfds. Get one that's bright colored, yellow is probably the most visible color on water. And get one that fits properly over what various combinations you wear. You should have something to signal with like a strobe and an air horn, you can get small waterproof versions of both. Of course my pfd is blue and I only have a whistle and a flashlight. Although a whistle and a flashlight are better than nothing they are very close to it if you have to be seen/found. Some people also keep a knife on their pfd in case of entanglement and even an orange garbage bag to wave around. If you have a source for handgrenades could be good addition for mixing it uo with the boaters, should get you some respect.

And you have to wear the pfd.

Jim

If your going to get an SOS model and plan on fishing the surf zone talk to ScottO. He can tell you what it's like to get the manual inflating apparatus caught in you kayak by accident. Like wise for lots of D-rings and stuff hanging off your vest. You can end up like Ahab attached to Moby Dick.