Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim DE

Training wheels arrived......... no laughing now ;-)

1 post in this topic

I received my inflatable sponsons today from Ontario, Canada. My plan is to mount them in a deflated ready position on the Heritage Sea Dart to allow me to focus more on the catch than rule #1 in Kayaking.

I had the Mokai out on the flats today and will again be out tomorrow in the early AM. Tomorrow night I plan to rig and mount these to my "sweat powered yak" wink.gif Monday I will take it out for a test run on the flats.

My hope is the rigging harness will not cause a significant drag when the sponsons are deflated. I expect drag when inflated and 1/2" submerged.

These sponsons are the 400 denier model with a advertised 12 puff inflation rate. They are 40" long and 6" wide which should effectively change my 28" hull width to 40". Hows that for s stable width? wink.gif The inflator tube are about 24" long so inflating while in the seat should be easily accomplished.

Once I have them rigged I will post my opinion on these and pictures. I have seen them on several kayaks while on the road but never have seen them in use nor got to ask these people what they thought of them. For sure they will make re-mounting in deep water much easier and ultimately safer.