Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffblair

THE SUPER PUNGO!

12 posts in this topic

A lot of the guys up north are a little closed minded and reject some of the things you guys in the mid atlantic take for granted, like fish finders, trolling motors, maybe even a small sail. As a newbie my mind was wide open when I took my first ride in my Pungo on a nearby pond. It was peaceful and quiet, I was aware of everything around me. I wondered what was below me...i needed a fish finder! I kept thinking how geat it would be to have a little electric trolling motor so I could just sit back, relax and enjoy myself while I was trolling.

I looked around at my little Pungo and asked myself "where would I put all that stuff?"

What I needed was a SUPER PUNGO!

I started looking through all the web sites and came across the Pamilico Excel. Looks kinda like a pungo, 4 feet longer, 4 inches wider, bigger cockpit, just the right boat to begin putting togeather a SUPER PUNGO!

I just might do it! A humminbird 400tx fathometer, through the hull transducer, side finder transducer mounted on the 40 lb thrust riptide electric and a big deep cycle battery which would give me extra ballast.

There is probably some small sail rig I can buy for those fun down wind runs...I love to sail...and troll at the same time, pefect speed for blues!

Yea, I know its heavy at 85 lbs. Sure I am old, but the strongest old man you ever met.

My new Thule racks will be in tommorrow and the rear saddles have a roller in the middle.

What do you think? Am I crazy? Cliff

It's been done Cliff, not for me but I'm rootin' for ya'. Search past topics, there's some great info on batteries, chargers, fish finders, you name it. I think the platform of choice has been the Cobra Fish and Dive. You probably won't have any problem with the weight since you got the rollers. Go for it. You probably have to register the sucker, though, even if it's just a trolling motor.

Jim

Legally I would have to registerbut I would wait till someone catches me. I have pakinsons so I could just shake a little extra and look confused...

I still like the Tarpon idea but it is a long time till hot weather, the super pungo would be a lot drier...

Legally I would have to registerbut I would wait till someone catches me. I have pakinsons so I could just shake a little extra and look confused...

Is it me, or does everyone smile more and more every time Cliff makes a post?

Hey Cliff, ya any good at jumpin fences to fish golf courses? Cause if ya are, I wana fish with you cowboy icon14.gif

Actually I know a couple of very good golf course ponds nearby, but too far to drag the Pungo...I was thinking of a float tube on a full moon...

I am definitly going for the Pamilico excel, I contacted my nearest dealer and told him I would be down sunday and order. I wont have to thru mount the transducer inside the hull, Humminbird has an adapter for mounting it right on the trolling motor. Mounting the side scan transducer will be the only problem, but that can wait.

Snowed hard all day here then just now turned to a pouring rain, but still fun to think spring...Cliff

Thanks Mike but I think I will stick with the Pamlico Excel. Its big and roomy, a tandem but I will take out one seat and use it for a single. It should be roomy enough so with a little foam I can get a nap if I need it. There are so many, many kayaks in the world to choose from.

Boy will I catch hell when my wife finds out. She is 6ft 2inch, 200 lbs with a big mouth and a loud voice. I am just glad I have her by 1 inch and 30 lbs...Cliff

My wife sells on ebay so I just waited till an item closed that she made a killing on, then casually meantioned I was picking up a new kayak on sunday. She smiled and mumbled something like "men and their boats, just be sure its black, its going to be your coffin!"

I am trying to decide between blue grre and gray...Cliff