Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Adventure Kayak Fishing Trips

53 posts in this topic

Joey and I have been discussing doing some adventurous kayak fishing trips next spring. We figured that we'd start discussing and researching it now.

Two come to mind. The Elizabeth Islands which are west of Martha's Vineyard and Monomoy Island which runs from the southeast end of Cape Cod and points south towards Nantucket. We're thinking June.

We'd be camping on the Islands.

Imput wanted.

Count me in.There are a few guys out on the Cape on another board.I will have to pick their brains for some info.Stage harbor is close for a launch to Monomoy.As for camping do you mean fishing for 48 hrs with a 2 hour nap biggrin.gif .The flats fishing up there is great.I chartered a boat up there this year had a blast on lite tackle ,throwing fins fish.I will be there.

joev

JONS,

Another place to consider is the Peconic bay area in eastern, long island. From either point there are islands and peninsulas that you can camp on. The nice thing is that it is protected.

I have the camping equipment but I did not want to try this alone. I also would think about the Norwalk islands in CT. This has legal camping.

Hope this helps,

Rudy

Rudy - 2 good ideas. I've got lots of camping gear but its in storage in Reno. Close to home trips would make nice shorties and practice.

Joev - definately contact those guys. Should we do something like the Elizabeths we'd probably rent a boat like a dive or commericial to drop us off out there. It sure sould be neat to be out there, self contained and fish when one wants to.

We can do some interesting things as a group. On the west coast they do things like rent a dive boat and go out to the Islands and fish for a day.

You don't have to ask me twice I have a 11x11 tent that is easy to transport sleeps 5 and Some camping gear . Would that be awesome fishing all day and night . So tell me why do we need the camping stuff again????????

After talking to Kayakjoe about his trip south,how about a trip to Harkers in NC ? I could get out for a 3-4 day weekend for some Fat Alberts.

joev

All,

I'm interested in all of the above.

I think Norwalk Islands would be a good shake down trip for those who haven't done this kind of thing. Might need a Norwalk resident

to get permits, I hear you have to go to Town Hall in person.

Jim

Well guys I don't know about this one, fishing a new place, day and night, camping out there, days away from the wife and all with the yak and actually catching some fishwink.gif. I'm not sure...I'd have to think about this one. Truthfully it sounds like a great idea but my only problem is getting the time off from work to do something like this. I'm planning to head to Maine or perhaps Nova Scotia this summer for vacation and that should kill alot of my free days but please keep me informed as it sounds like a great idea.

This whole thing is new to me guys so I'm not well informed about locations.

One of the perks of being a teacher....ALL SUMMER OFF!!!

Point the way and I'll follow if I can.

Can you believe this weather!!!!!biggrin.gif

DASBOOT

Great idea but I think the only island in the Elizabeth chain that is not exclusively private is Cuttyhunk, I do not know what arrangements can be made there for camping.

As for Monomoy, it is a National Wildlife Refuge, again i do not know that camping is permitted unless you can pass for a seal, some of may with our winter coats on.

The way to fish either spot would be from a mother boat, the waters getting to and from either of these spots is not typically yak friendly.

Both great spots and June is the time. I'm already in the planning stages for my June time up there, 2 trips planned.

PM - you can join us for weekend trips.

Woody - welcome back. I was afraid that the Eliz's would be off limits. From what Joey's turned up so far north Monomoy can be camped on, south is the refuge. also in the summer there's Maine.

Spring weaks in the Peconics. Sounds nice. I vote for the North Fork.

The Outer Banks are about a 12 hour drive for us. So it would be 11 or less for you Jerseyites.

If you really want the ultimate road trip you can't beat the 18-20 hour drive to the Northeast Florida coast. Tarpon, Snook, Kingfish, Jacks, Sharks, and more. Right beyond the breakers and major league under fished. The action gets solid by the end of June and really becomes outrageous when the bait schools start to move around later in the summer. I've only been there in late June and my arms are still tired.

You can also hit the Mosquito Lagoon for flats fishing for Redfish and Sea Trout