Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Essential Yak Fishing Gear

13 posts in this topic

Since we've got so many new people getting into yak fishing I thought that it might be a good idea to share ideas on what one considers essential gear. The stuff that always goes along. The other day Joey and Frick joined me and the weather wasn't very nice once we got to the water. As more of us get yaks and communicate we may join one another in differnt locales. My guests were missing some items which in my waters are essentials. Here's my list of important gear.

1) PFD

2) Waterproof protective clothing. I wear breathable waders and top. Works Fantastic.

3) A 3.5# anchor and system to get it to the ends of the yak. Also at least one anchor line. I carry 2 - one short and the other long.

4) A sea anchor or also called a wind sock

5) flashlights

6) hand gaff

7) Mess bag to put waterproof lure boxes in.

8) In hull pulley system.

9) Bow tow line. Comes in handy when walking the yak.

10) A yak dolly.

11) A locking system while yak isn't in use and needs to stay on the vehicle.

Hey, JonS: I went out yesterday and bought a Yakima rack and a pair of Landshark saddles, which I gather are about the same as your TLCs. But I have a question. I want to put one saddle on the outside of the riser tower and one on the inside. That way, my Scupper takes up only 1/2 of the roof and not the whole blasted thing. I'm wondering, however, if there's some reason that might be a safety hazzard. Got any ideas?

Your oft-ill-equiped and Raritan-Bay-despising pal,

Frick

Frick, I have been a Yakima dealer for 20 years. You can mount on the outside of the tower. The Yakima racks are rock solid. We have a paddle holder that works great that many people mount on the outside edge of the bar.

Barrell

Barrell: Thanks for the good word on the Yakima racks. Two further questions, if I might. Do you know of any way to lock the Landshark saddles so they don't get ripped off? And, can you tell me how much you charge for the lock cores, a four pack? Rei's selling em onsale for $30 but even that irks me. Why are they so expensive?

Thanks,

Frick

I wouldnt worry about theft. I, and you know how much you paid for the Yakima system,but most thieves dont have a clue. The only place I ever heard of a rack being stolen is in a ski resort parking lot.

Barrell

Frick as barrell said the outdside is no problem. Its where mine are so I can fit the space case up there also.

Otter the pulley system. What I did is run a rope aroung the scupper posts inside the hull so it forms an X below the hatch. Where the 2 ends of the rope attach I have a large loop. To the loop I attach all sorts of items via carribiners. this way I can store all kinds of things in the hull and retrieve them. Waterproop lure boxes are nice. Leave the tap on that says remove and its perfect for attaching the boxes to the pulley. I keep anchorline, drift sock, etc. in the hull and they can't slip in the hull and get out of my rach. Works great. Frick and Joey saw it and I know that they're gonna set up a similar system in there yaks. The Cobra has a nice large opening which allows us to put larger items in the hull.

Frick as barrell said the outside is no problem. Its where mine are so I can fit the space case up there also.

Otter the pulley system. What I did is run a rope around the scupper posts inside the hull so it forms an X below the hatch. Where the 2 ends of the rope attach I have a large loop. To the loop I attach all sorts of items via carribiners. This way I can store all kinds of things in the hull and retrieve them. Waterproof lure boxes are nice. Leave the tab on that says remove and its perfect for attaching the boxes to the pulley. I keep anchorline, drift sock, etc. in the hull and they can't slip in the hull and get out of my rach. Works great. Frick and Joey saw it and I know that they're gonna set up a similar system in there yaks. The Cobra has a nice large opening which allows us to put larger items in the hull.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 05-18-2001).]

barrell/ don't spawn the next wave for chop shops! You can not (will not) be able to keep rear windows in older SUVs (bronco, etc.) because these items are in such demand...it's simply a matter of time before you'll lose one. I would imagine that a black market for these carriers could be created overnight.

Frick - I've always had locks on my rack. What's great about these types of racks is that they last forever. I've had mine over a decade. Get the locks now since they'll give you good service forever, peace of mind, and will only cost more in the future.

Frick, I agree with Jon. I've owned my Yakima rack for years and used to sell them. I always keep the rack and accessories secured. The cores are definitely pricey -- but sure beats having to get your gear home without it..and having to buy another accessory.

For gearheads like me -- I actually recommend getting a couple extra locks so that they can use them for the attatchment that they are going to buy four years from now (that they don't know about yet)so you don't have to have three different Yakima keys to fumble through to get the right one.

Having said that, the locks aren't the only way to "secure" your Yakima accessories. If you leave the rack on your car, try this inexpesive approach. Most of the attachments attatch with the snap around, a bolt, and the T-nut. When it's time to put on the T-nut, put it on upside down (shiny side of the nut towards the bar). Put it on far enough where all the threads are engaged and yank the plastic part right off of the nut. It isn't as convenient and is not theft-proof, but does require someone with a wrench and a lot more time.

Tight lines! Steve

smile.gif