Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chesapeake Kayaker

help

8 posts in this topic

Wow I dont even have my yak yet and I am all ready hooked on yak fishing.All of you are great you have so much info it makes my head spin.about one month ago i walked in to my local yak shop he wants to sell me a WS ride with pad and rod holders for 739 after tax I was so close to buying it but thout i would do some research first. thats how i met all of you and now am so confused on the right kayak for me i dont know what to do i need help 200 pounds 5'11" most of my fishing will be the bay and creeks butwant to surf fish also the bay can see some strong currents and wind sorry to make this so long but its my first and i need lots of help

The best advice I can give you is to first try out some different models before you take the plunge. Try it out to get a feel for overall stability which is most important in open water. How does it feel, remember you will have gear and you will be sitting there for a while, so its gotta be comfortable to you. Lastly make sure you can manage it well. Last thing you would ever want is to take it out for it's maiden voyage in open water and realize you cant get it back in. icon25.gif

I know its hard to avoid temptation, but take a test ride or two before you decide. Any good yak shop would have no problems with letting you take it out for a while before you buy. It honestly comes down to personal preference. To me stability, comfort and manageability are the 3 most important factors.

-Snareguy

Snareguy said it best - try them out.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and each yak has its own strengths and weaknesses about yak SOT vs SIK, rudder vs no rudder, slow vs fast, maneuverable vs not etc etc

I like the SOT because I get on and off to wade the flats and to fish around the islands in the Potomac (with out fighting the current).

My yak is the T160 (6'1" 220#), I'm looking at the T160i or the T140 (remember my prefrence) for a second yak.

The T160 is pros - big, stable and fast;

cons - big, heavy, long meaning transport vehicle.

There are several other SOT that are just as good if not better in some areas. There are other sites which talk in depth about selection kayak fishing stuff is one good site.

GLTY

I have had both the sit in and sit on top. Definately go for the SOT. Much more room to move around- you can access your front hatch while on the water- many more places to put accessories.

I bought the WS Tarpon -120 2 years ago after reading many replies on how good it was. All the hype is true. I couldn't ask for a better designed kayak. I would have bought the 140, but they didn't have one and I am not a patient person. cool.gif It has a bit more room, and isn't much heavier than the 120.

I have a similar build to you and would not recommend anything under 12ft. Mine floats me great, and with my home made scupper plugs, I stay completely dry.

I would also recommend looking to do the modifications yourself- rod holders, anchor, etc.

You'll save some money and will be able to put the stuff where you want it.

p.s. shop around for the flush mount rod holders. The kayak dealer wanted 20.00 per and I got them for 10 at a local bait shop. You should be able to outfit it with all you need for an extra 50.00 or so.

good luck!

fly fish

I have an older model wilderness system ride, Always have been very happy about easy to customize fairly stable and tracks well for not having a rudder. Good luck in what ever you choose but always best to see if you can test drive 1st Many stores will rent a kayak for about 20 a day to allow you try it out.

some of us up here on the cape like the sinks because they offer protection from the wind and waves that get cold up here..

like they say try try try them out

Pungo pungo HappyWave.gif