Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
feetinsand

Christie's SANDY REBUILD PLAN

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

BEACH REPLENISHMENT

Plan is 100% FEDERAL MONIES to replenish ALL beaches that HAD A PLAN in the last TEN YEARS and it doesn't matter whether any work had been done or not. It will fund all work to the specifications of the original plan.

FED MONIES .....NO STATE MONEY....NO LEVERAGE TO PROVIDE ACCESS :o

APP 3/12 but I heard it a month ago

Shore towns in Monmouth and Ocean counties will get new beaches starting as early as this summer, thanks to hundreds of millions of dollars being drawn from the Sandy aid package.

Rep. Frank Pallone Jr., D-N.J., said the federal government could spend as much as $200 million on a beach-replenishment project that will stretch from Sandy Hook to the Barnegat Inlet.

Pallone said he believes the federal government will fund 100 percent of the project, but that has yet to be made final.

“It’s the largest beach-replenishment project ever,” Pallone said. “Such a massive amount of money is going to make a difference. That’s about 15 times what we would normally get in a year.”

The project will fill beaches with sand, bringing them to a height and width that will provide a buffer against future storms. Chris Gardner, spokesman for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ New York Division, which covers Monmouth County, said the beaches will rise to the original level authorized by Congress more than a decade ago, generally about 100 feet wide and 10 feet above sea level.

The schedule of what towns will be affected first will come out in the coming months, at the beginning of the contract process, he said. The project is currently being designed and engineered.

“We’re looking to put sand on the beach sometime this summer,” he said.

Pallone said he expects the project to go out to bid in May.

The project should take at least a year, Gardner said. Only sections of beaches will be closed at a time, he said

Gardner could not confirm the amount that will be spent on the project nor whether the federal government will pick up the entire tab. He said he is not even sure that towns that did not participate in the original project to build up the beaches in Monmouth County between 1994 and 2001 will be able to take part in this new project. Word is expected soon.

A spokesman for the Philadelphia Division of the Army Corps of Engineers, which covers Ocean County, did not immediately return a call.

Pallone mentioned two other projects in Monmouth County.

A flood-prevention project to protect the low-lying areas of the Port Monmouth section of Middletown also is being drawn from Sandy funds. The plans will include the construction of nearly 7,070 feet of levees, 3,585 feet of floodwalls and 2,640 feet of dune and beach replenishment. The project has been on the books for years.

Pallone said he expects it will cost $90 million.

Another $50 million is expected to be spent on repairs to levees, a pump station, a floodwall and closure gates that were constructed four decades ago in Keansburg.

Manasquan officials welcomed the beach replenishment project.

It will restore the beachfront in Manasquan to the level at which the Army Corps engineered it in 1996, borough officials said.

“Basically, our beach will be bigger, wider and cleaner than before,” said Borough Councilman Joseph Bossone, beach committee chairman.

How do you figure? Last I looked federal money also comes from us. And there is also this>2.4.4.3 Fishing and Aquaculture

The State’s fishing industry, comprised of commercial and recreational fishing and

seafood processing, contributed more than $2.7 billion to the economy in 2011 and

directly employed 8,500 people.

The problem is that the Corps beach access rule calls for every 1/2 mile - Too far apart in most peoples opinion

These local towns can start closing a lot of existing access points and without backing form the state (which is looking like a complete joke) there's nothing we can do to stop them.

Public Access Stalling Toms River Dune Replenishment

By Ilya Hemlin December 28, 2012

[snip}

The easements need to be signed in order for Toms River to use public funds for work on private residences as well as for future replenishment projects by the Army Corps of Engineers, but numerous residents have expressed concern because the easement grants “perpetual easement for public access”-which requires the private beaches to allow public access.

Toms River Administrator Paul Schives says it’s a requirement of the Army Corps of Engineers and the Township has no ability to change that.

“[the Army Corps of Engineers] will not undertake a project that does not have public access to the beach area that won’t.”

Schives says it’s a requirement that other municipalities had to agree on in order to receive aid from the Army Corps of Engineers.

“For the federal government to make what is a major investment in replenishing the dunes and replenishing the beach areas that is a requirement.”

Three things that go through the minds of the homeowners who refuse to sign

1. They want to get paid like the Karens did in Harvey Cedars to the tune of $350K - most of which probably went to their attorneys

2. They don't want the view of the ocean blocked, the less intelligent of those claim it will lower property value

3. They're afraid that it will limit what they can do with their houses in terms of expansions (possibly a legitimate worry when the property is large enough to merit an expansion)

There are also the stupid people who are afraid it means people can come on to their property and set out blankets or that the town will put in a boardwalk - but those idiots are a minority.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post

Three things that go through the minds of the homeowners who refuse to sign

1. They want to get paid like the Karens did in Harvey Cedars to the tune of $350K - most of which probably went to their attorneys

2. They don't want the view of the ocean blocked, the less intelligent of those claim it will lower property value

3. They're afraid that it will limit what they can do with their houses in terms of expansions (possibly a legitimate worry when the property is large enough to merit an expansion)

There are also the stupid people who are afraid it means people can come on to their property and set out blankets or that the town will put in a boardwalk - but those idiots are a minority.

What's confusing me is, what they'll lose financially (as disheartening as it may be) they gain in safety. Where's the fight. Just "grand standin" I think.

I don't know.........I feel for them but I just want to fish and go home. Simple.

They never will stop Mother Nature if she wants it she's going too take it putting all this money in too replenishing just so I have too pay 10 dollars every time I want too get on our beaches is not going too solve this problem

I have a meeting in Trenton on the 23rd with the Director of the the DCA and a Senator to review the Volunteer housing guidelines regarding Churches and other facilities. These will override the highly restrictive codes that are presently in place. Hopefully I can have some impact on that aspect of the recovery.

The towns will be able to offset up to 25% of there matching FEMA funds with this labor pool, which is valued at $28.00 per hour per person. With my planned housing, my facility alone will bring in 300k just from June Thru September. These groups have the skills we need to rebuild and will be coming from all over the country.

I can't speak for others about dune issues but I can talk about my own issues. I moved to a waterfront home after saving and living well below my means for 25yrs just to have this chance at a beach front home in Port Monmouth. I had a dune which held during Irene and Sandy!!!! I have views from my 2nd and 3rd floors of the beach, water of course and from Staten Isle all the way to brooklyn. It's awesome!!! I see Sandy Hook, Earle, cruise ships etc. A dream come true for me and my wife. I've been asking for dune replenishment, beach replenshment because we lost 90% of what used to be here. This area I lived in was spared what so many others went through in my town and other towns. Thanks god for the Army Corp and what they did yrs ago. Now it's time to do it even better!

I want a dune that is wider like it used to be. I want my beach to be much wider for safety but when I hear 22' high dune!!!. That means to me, my view and the $'s, big $'s spent to be here, will be lost. Unless, I raise my house? Looking at sand that high instead of my water view will decrease the value of my house even though I don't plan on moving. Will my taxes go down? No! I can't afford to raise my house, change/raise my decks, I have no room for additional stairs outside my house to get into the house even if it was raised? My lot is small, I have no driveway, no yard, an easment already in place with the town which prohibits me from using part of my property already? But if my Ins. goes up like I have heard, what choice will I have? Work 10 yrs longer? My wife too? I just want what is fair and safe. If something is done to lower my homes value due to no fault of my own - shouldn't we be helped? I don't agree with suing like that couple did for all of that $. But how about some assistance? Guidance? Help? Info? for people like me who had no damage yet will have to come up with a $100 thousand of $$$$ to get back what I bought the house in the first place for. Views...and quick access to go fishing and Yakking out in the bay!!! Fishing was one of my reasons, not my wifes!

As for access...I have no problem now and won't. I got to know the people who came onto my little beach area. I've given bait, hot tea, lures and advice to many. C'mon down. No issue there for me. Others...well some have said they don't want the noise and trash left behind. Worried about theft? I doubt that personallly as I think it is just a selfish way to protect their privacy for a public space they had for yrs to themselves. If they won't give access, they should pay for it themsleves and no FEMA or Ins co should insure them. Just my .02.

This work is done to protect all people. Not just the waterfront homes. People in my area over a mile inland were swamped. What a selfish person who can't see doing good the many outways their little kingdom?

D.J.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Churchman View Post

I have a meeting in Trenton on the 23rd with the Director of the the DCA and a Senator to review the Volunteer housing guidelines regarding Churches and other facilities. These will override the highly restrictive codes that are presently in place. Hopefully I can have some impact on that aspect of the recovery.

The towns will be able to offset up to 25% of there matching FEMA funds with this labor pool, which is valued at $28.00 per hour per person. With my planned housing, my facility alone will bring in 300k just from June Thru September. These groups have the skills we need to rebuild and will be coming from all over the country.

Let us know how you make out with the meeting. It looks like my church may do the PDA thing too. If you need any help let me know, I'll do all I can. Even if it's just company for the ride. I only hope all goes the right way. Good Luck