Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sebastian

Tribalance Kayaks

10 posts in this topic

Hello all - Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the TriBalance Kayak? I am thinking about a kayak and have seen this advertised in various magazines and am wondering if this would be good choice.

Thanks, Sebastian

I did a bunch of research on the Tri both speaking with its creator and reading all posts I could find and contacting people who owned or used them. Its a great choice if you're fishing sheltered and calm waters, need ot cover a lot of ground in those sheltered waters and don't venture into exposed waters. It isn't meant for rough waters, rivers or launching through the surf. This eliminated the majority of days that I could use it so I didn't pursue it any further. It would make a good estuary/Everglades type of yak but not nearly versatile enough for the fishing around here. Also for the cost of a Tri you could buy 2 other yaks.

We have a tremendous variety in the type of fishing that's available to us and a yak that handles the widest variety of conditions is my choice. I fish rivers, lakes, ponds, back bays/esturaries and the ocean.

thanks guys - also looking at something called the "fish and Dive" I forget the manufacturer though. It is a SOT. I plan on fishing Reynolds Channel area (only early morning and late nite - I see the bozo's on the the water during the day). My only concern is the cold factor - I will definately need a wet suit, however , I have read previous posts on wearing neoprene waders. It will be a while before I make a decision. Thanks again, Sebastian

The FishnDive is made by Cobra. I own 2 Cobra Explorers which I'm very happy with. Its a good choice especially if you are a big person. It will haul everything with lots of storage and 600# capacity. It even has available an optional motor mount where you can hook up a salt electric or small gas motor.

What I wear is essentially a dry suit. Being wet doesn't appeal to me. I wear breathable stockingfoot waders with oversize diver booties and a breathable kayak top. Its a 2 piece dry suit.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 03-02-2001).]

Hello,

I just saw this posting, I know my response is about 6 years late smile.gif but I own a tribal.

My buddy got one after watching me fishing while standing up.

They are fantastic, a little more than regular yaks, but they do not compare. As far as being for sheltered waters, I've taken mine on windy choppy days.

The only danger is in the outriggers coming undone, but this hasn't happend yet.

Unfortunately they are out of business now, I think, I can't find them around frown.gif

View PostWhat I wear is essentially a dry suit. Being wet doesn't appeal to me. I wear breathable stockingfoot waders with oversize diver booties and a breathable kayak top. Its a 2 piece dry suit.

No, it ISN'T a "2 piece dry suit". It is WADERS and a breathable kayak top!

Take your choice, you COULD call it a "poor man's drysuit" ...

or else you could call it "a poor substitute for a drysuit".

Think how much money the Coast Guard could save, using waders and a dry top! How come they don't? There MUST be a reason, right?

I truly hope this misinformation never costs someone their life, but if it does, the responsibility should fall on the guy who recommended waders for water that is deeper than your waist. Funny how the manufacturers of waders never recommend them for an application they weren't designed for. You would think they'd love to sell more product.

AMMO

View PostNo, it ISN'T a "2 piece dry suit". It is WADERS and a breathable kayak top!

Take your choice, you COULD call it a "poor man's drysuit" ...

or else you could call it "a poor substitute for a drysuit".

Think how much money the Coast Guard could save, using waders and a dry top! How come they don't? There MUST be a reason, right?

I truly hope this misinformation never costs someone their life, but if it does, the responsibility should fall on the guy who recommended waders for water that is deeper than your waist. Funny how the manufacturers of waders never recommend them for an application they weren't designed for. You would think they'd love to sell more product.

AMMO

Jeeeeez' just jump down the guys throat why dont ya' cwm13.gif

Course the original post is like ,what, years old now... so he probably wont mind!

" The responsability should fall on the guy who recommends.." !?headscratch.gif

The responsability, and the managment of risk... falls on the individual.

This post cracked me up... Thankscwm27.gif

I admit that I didn't look at the date when I posted my reply.

But it wouldn't have made any difference.

When I see potentially lethal misinformation, I am morally bound to correct it.

Jon knows my position well, we have butted heads over this subject many times.

You gotta ask yourself what MY motivation is, and what HIS motivation might be.

I'm glad that you found the subject to be funny!

I think it's about as funny as a rubber crutch.

And NO, a beginner can only believe what he/she is told.

They don't know any better, and won't find out until it's too late.

It is the responsibility of someone who knows better, to broadcast the truth to anyone who will listen. It doesn't become the individuals responsibility until they can make an informed decision. So far, there has only been a single incident that, thankfully, was only a "close call." I hope I am never proven to be "right." That would be a very hollow victory.

The sport of kayak fishing has been around about 10 years now, but waders predate WW2. Wader safety dictates their use in water no deeper than your waist. No good can come of perverting their intent. A mistake repeated 100 times, 1000 times or a million times is still a mistake.

AMMO

AMMO, Please start a new thread and post the facts you know. I would love to hear why you are so "dead" set against the drytop/pfd ove wader set up. I'm not looking for a fight on it but I would like you to show me and everyone else that is more than comfortable and with the mentioned attire.