Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Santiago II

Fishing in the Ganges (Black Rock Harbor)

11 posts in this topic

Since some people were finding fish at Black Rock I decided to give it a try. Launched at the park boat launch about 6:30. Interesting smell eminating for the harbor. Reminded me of cleaning out septic tanks in my younger days. My nose was correct. Every boat in the harbor must have flushed its waste. The water was full of human excrement, contraceptives, and femine hygiene products.

Undaunted I set to catching bait. Lots of menhaden. Soon to be followed by lots of Blues in the 8 to 12 pound range. Overall it was a great day, I wouldn't recommend the atmosphere but, hey for a good days fishing, why not. Even saw a genuine bluefish blitz (unfortunately it ws run down by a sailboat).

To add to the interesting day they locked the gates on me as I was trying to leave. Hmmmm, I think one of the anglers on the board put someone up to that.

Glad somebody got to have some more fun with them, I would've said it was a sure bet until Saturday. I don't know what's up with the sewage, I've never seen that. Might have been an over load of the local system as a result of heavy rain Sat nite,abt the first rain since Sept. Arnie said the gate was a new thing, he was locked out early on Thanksgiving am. The launch across from there always open, harder to find.

Just out of curiosity, did they come in for lunch around low tide?

Jim

Hmmm. I fished Black Rock today (Monday) up to low tide, beginning of incoming, and nothin' nowhere nada zip. But the water seemed quite clear. Didn't even see any bunker. Did head out to my striper spot, and landed three nice schoolie stripers on small flies, with many other hits. Birds were circling like mad, and if I'd waited an hour or two, it might have really opened up. Santiago, what tide were you fishing? Note: Gate to launch area at Seaside was closed, even at noon, when I arrived??? Let's hope it ain't over. Any word from Milford, Branford?? It's really hit or miss now, I gather.

The water was high when I got out there at sun up. I didn't check the tides but this was 0630 until 1100. The out gate was open when I arrived so of course I drove in the wrong way. Soon after I arrived an elderly gentleman pulled up to the boat launch and started shore fishing, he was joined by a younger guy who left around 1000. I didn't ask either how they got in but the older guy showed me how to get out (note the tire tracks on the dirt side walk alongside the exit road -not so bad in his Monte Carlo, but the curb was a big drop for my Saturn).

The water was definitey high when I got there. Most of the Menhaden were in the upper right branch of the harbor but they moved down into the main basin by 0830-0900. That's where I caught most of the fish. The bait schools were well scattered thru the sail boats and moorings as they moved into different branches of the harbor on the way out. For a while they were every where you looked. I tried to stay by the outermost ring of bait due to the water conditions (yuk). The biggest bait school moved out toward the sound pretty rapidly around 1000. I caught my last blue by the green marker opposite the boat launch around 1000. I followed the bait a little farther out but there a was a motor boat drifting thru that area so I backed off. I snagged a bunker for the guys on shore around by the boat launch as I followed the school, but the schools stayed by the opposite shore so they got skunked as far as I could see. Lost my last bait to a pick off around 1030 then packed it in. ScottO called to find out what he'd been missing around 1100 as I was tying down the boat to the roof.

I did meet three guys at the yacht club across from the park boat launch. They were towing a sailboat and tooling around in a power boat. They wanted to know if I was the guy they saw last week being towed aroung by a fish in the harbor. I had to tell them it must have been someone else since that was my first time there.

Something else I noticed, when the blues were feeding more aggressively they would chop the tail off the bait so I got almost 100% hook ups (since that's where I put the hook). Later they started taking the heads off and I would get a tail back. I've never seen that before.

Funny, I was hooking the bunker thru the back of the head and had almost 100 pct hooks ups Thursday when they were aggressive. At least we can find the bait consistently. Probably was Arnie taking a ride. I really think there are large under/behind these suckers pretty consistently but haven't hooked any, just one run off that like one in Milford.

Anyway, the blues are a lot of fun. Any plans to go back there or Milford, Scotto must be ready for another day of this? They have to be shoving off soon. I have some vacation to burn. Hi was probably around 7:45, was 5:55am sat.

Jim

Scott-

I'll be out in Bpt or Milford one day this week, we'll make w/e plans (when is Joev back?), maybe they're at Glen by then, who knows. I should be thinking plug building but this year I'm still thinking of the chase. Pretty weird.

Jim

ScottO - looking forward to it. Joey's gonna make it too unless the fishing breaks wide open.

JimW - I'm still thinking fishing too. As soon as they decide to show up at the Glen I'll be there. The fact that blues are still only halfway to the ocean leeds me to think that its just a matter of time. Joey tokd me one year it didn't happen until almost Xmas. When it does happen it will probably be very intense and shorter than normal. Maybe a week or so.