Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striperfever

Problems Arise!

7 posts in this topic

Like I knew they would arise. I went flounder fishing near the beasly point bridge last week and hooked into a nice bass(22#).

I opted to go with the W cleat way, I didnt like the idea of running bungy cord around the yak! So I went with a w cleat and a small float for quick release. When fishting the fish and trying to let the anchor go, wasnt to hard! But the fish towed me around some, If I was closer to the bridge I could have been in trouble...MAYBE? I found it very hard to work the fish in the yak, was it just me or do I need to get more time in fighting nice fish from a yak?

Also had problems when I got the fish to the side, I allmost fell over when I would reach for the fish!

Any thoughts????

Striperfever

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

SF,

Fighting a good size fish from the yak is different than boat or shore. From the yak you don't have the leverage advantage. Part of the fight is letting the fish drag you around, wearing him down. As for landing the fish, some of that depends on the initial stability of your yak. You need to focus on keeping your weight centered. Don't lean toward the fish. Also, you might try to sit straight and pull the fishes head up on your lap to remove the hook. Don't drag a fish with treble hooks in his mouth onto your lap.. that's a disaster waiting to happen. A Bogagrip is very helpful on a yak. Well worth the investment. Land one 15# bluefish on the yak and the boga has paid for itself.

What kayak are you fishing from?

As for your anchor system, I think you have misunderstood the system with the bungee loos. The bungee loops are 12" loops tied into the trolley line, which is regular braided nylon. The anchor system on my yak is probably the single best modification I made. I don't know how guys fish without it. If you want to reconsider the anchor system, I will post photos of mine, and you can look at Porter's also. Mine is essentially the same idea, modified for my yak.

Phil

I own the Cobra Explorer. I feel the w clamp was better, so thats why I went with it! Plus your way is just more of a pain to set up, I dont see any advantage of bungy. Doesnt bungy strech after awhile??? Thus having to change quite often. Im not putting your setup down or anything like that, I just feel the w clamp is easy to install and would last alot longer thats all!

If you can convince me why the bungy setup is better and alot easyer then maybe I will give it a trysmile.gif

SF

------------------

I've been fishing a Cobra Fish n Dive the last few years and it's really stable so I'm pretty confident when boating a fish that I won't be taking a bath. However, there's always that first time! But with the stripers, I remain anchored up and by the time they make their runs when seeing the yak, they're tired and I've been pretty successful grabbing them by the jaw (as long as the hook doesn't present a threat) and dragging them in. You get some abrasions on the hand but nothing serious. It makes for a good story anyway.

What's the main reason for unhooking the anchor? I've been thinking that it would be pretty cool to get towed and have the fish tire himself out. Just never got around to it.

Oznavad, what's a bocagrip and how does it work?

Soupy, I fairly new to Yak fishing! But every one here says that when ya get a nice fish on its good to have an anchor release, could get dangerous. They know more then me, so I just listen to what they saywink.gif

Even if I didnt release my anchor, I would bet that that fish still would have pulled me some, she pulled very hard and the whole fishing from a Yak is new to me!

SF

------------------

fever,AAAHHHAAA!!! I like that spot!! the cats outta the bag.Anchor.We don't need no stinkin anchor.I have yet to use one,Then again I bring as little as possible.I let them drag me until they tire out a bit. Then I grab'em, de-hook'em, Release(Most of them)Did you get anything else?By the way did you say anchor and fluke in the same breath.Shame on you.

SF,

The reason for the bungee is twofold. One it keeps constant tension on the trolly line so that you have nice,neat line around the yak. Second is that it absorbs alot of the shock from wave action. If you are anchored solid in decent swells it's gets a little spooky. The extra 1' or so of shock absorbance makes a big difference. I've set up 3 Fish n Dives with the system. It takes me about 45 minutes to do it all. I can save you alot of the trouble of figuring out the pieces if you want to do it. Yes, the wear but it's a 5 minute repair once a year.

Soupy,

The Bogagrip is a fish handling tool with a scale built in. Photo of Bogagrip Once your clamped to the fish he's not getting off. I've grabbed 80 lb. tarpon on it.