Kayak Clothing

After seeing MrSinbad roll out of kayak in a Black Rock jacket and waders and come up relatively dry I've been giving that combo a little more creedence. I don't know if I'd wear it into the surf but I don't always fish in the surf.

I went out to my favorite clearance sites and found all the gear real cheap. Before I bought any thing I began to look at all sorts of other dry/splash wear. I could use black rock style pants instead of the waders and I could swim in those. I could also use a waterproof/breatheable jackets without the neck and waist gaskets like the Black Rocks. On top of all that the breatheable waders are going thru technology upgrades. Now I'm really confused.

I did order a good quality waterproof/breathable jacket with a hood and a waterproof hat but I'm still stuck on the other equipment.

Also, after spending time in the wind and the rain today, I can't say enough good stuff about polar tech vests/jackets as under layers and neoprene farmer johns.

Laus Deo

I'm going to be testing out a pair of splash pants soon. They're waterproof and breathable and convertibles too. The convertible part is that the legs zip off and turn them into shorts. They should be perfect for summer mornings and evenings when I need a little more than shorts. Combined with a breathable, waterproof top from the same company which I've been using for a while they'll make a great summer, late spring and early fall setup.

SII, Marksharky has the same setup as mrsinbad and he walks his kayak in through the surf rather than riding and he stays dry.

CHIEF-

Unless I'm mistaken (JonS, feel free to correct me), the Black Rock jacket has good neoprene closures with velcro for a good seal at the wrist, waist (especially good seal there) and neck. The neckline is very similar to a mock-turtleneck type shirt with a velcro closure than can be opened if desired.

I paddled for the first time with mine this weekend and am completely satisfied with the product. The jacket itself is not made of neoprene. It is waterproof and BREATHABLE, that much I do know.

I'm gonna jump on those convertable splash pants JonS alluded to. I would image they would come in handy during summer nights when the blood-sucking vampire bugs come out after dark. icon25.gif The less skin surface exposed, the better.

[This message has been edited by JoeB (edited 04-29-2002).]

Have kayak...will travel.

With my skin this is a critical issue. I get the typical celtic tan, i.e. various shades of red. I can also get a pretty nasty case of excema if I get too hot and sweaty for too long. I have a Gore Tex rainsuit that I bought years ago. Please tell me that the new stuff is better.

SII,

I really rolled out of my yak on purpose to show you guys how dry I could stay if I happened to dump. Never mind my screaming out HOLY SH!7. That was just a ploy to get all your attention. I'm glad you were impressed with how dry you could stay with the wader/Black Rock combination. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by mrsinbad (edited 04-29-2002).]

mrsinbad

Speaking of skin I have to tell you two years ago in May on the Hudson I got the worst sunburn of my life on my shins while paddling around into the sun light (and my legs don't usually burn). The air temp was about 60 degrees but the sun was at a perfect angle. I could barely stand for 3-4 days without terrible pain from the swelling. I avoid shorts at all costs when I'm in high UV conditions and I wear lots of sun screen at other times.

Just a lesson better to learn from somebody else.

Laus Deo

Santiago,

You bring up a point that I've been concerned about.

I presently have a pair of NRS Farmer Johns,

NRS Fleece top(to go over the John for extra warmth),the NRS BlK Rk Jkt and Breathable waders.

The Jkt does an excellent job of keeping water out.

The John is by far warmer than the waders but it does get hot if the air temp is up.

The waders are perfect for warmer temps.

My question is, what does one wear under a blistering summer sun that will still afford me protection from sunburn?

I can't see wearing waders in that heat and I'll fry in shorts.

Light nylon pants maybe.

Any suggestions?

In warm weather maybe a pair of flats pants could be the ticket. They dry out very fast and protect you from the sun. Since I like to wade then the wader thing is for me. I stand in the wate for long peroids of time and even in the summer you can freeze because the water temps are not 98.6. I was looking at a pair of wader "pants" that trout fishermen use, they come up to the waist. I was given a web sit yesterday that had a pair of nice booties for 15 bucks, felt soles too...go here.. http://www.discountfishinginc.com/Order/ProductStore.asp?ProductSystemId=5035&CategorySyst emId=128&ParentCategorySystemId=0

[This message has been edited by saltyh2ofly (edited 04-30-2002).]

As to neoprene, there isn't any in the BRJkt. Its fake, but functions similarly.

DAS, I agree that a pair of flats pants would be the ticket. I just picked up the convertible splash pants and they are definately what I'll be using alot. The same company has a shell that I got last year which works great. Joey and I carry these types of jackets and they're great at night and in the early AM when you need a little bit more.

I'll carry sunblock with me for when I unzip the legs and take the leggings off. I never go fishing without putting it on. I spent too many days in Baja getting pounded by the sun. Luckily I am not of Celtic decent so I do get dark, but I no longer want sun.

Also while we're talking sun definately get a good pair of sunglasses with Polaroids being preferable for seeing fish.

Here's those breathables I was talking about. One pic shows my brother in the whole outfit holding both a jacket and a pant packed up in its pouch. The next shot is with the legs zipped off. Terrific item.

Packables-2.jpg

Packables-1.jpg

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-30-2002).]

JonS-

What did ya do to the poor fella to make him look so unhappy to be there? wink.gif Nice set-up though, I like those pants/shorts. Hmm...gotta get me some of those.

Nice choice on the color scheme (Navy colors). I hope BassBlitz deosn't take offense, being the Army advocate for the group. biggrin.gif

Have kayak...will travel.