Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
westhavendave

Safety

9 posts in this topic

Good article, it covers a multitude of good ideas, letting people your time table, the cell phone is another good one. I have not been in the ocen yet with the new yak. I figure learn the ropes on a quiet lake this fall. Get used to it, get to practice with it. Try and get back in it after you get dumped in water over your head. I'm usually the just go and tr it type. Much like Dasboot did and I would usually get the same results Das did. So maybe I'm getting more mature (or scared). Das's story opened my eyes definately.

Good article.

Chief500,

I'm very glad to see that the tale of my mishap has been a catalyst for at least one person the stop and think first.

There are real dangers inherent in this sport that must be respected.

It's all part of the learning curve.

After so many years of thinking otherwise,it kills me to think that I'm really not immortal!!frown.gif

Cest la vie!!!!

ENJOY LIFE!!!!!biggrin.gif

Das, I picked up the yak from Jon S and was ready to head to the beach. Then Iread a few articles here and started thinking. What am I doin, I 48 and I ain't as flexible or strong as I used to be. The mortality factoer has kicked in big time with me. So I chose to back off and try it a little slower for once. After reading your virgin voyage I thanked God you were OK and again that I slowed down some. But is helped make me appreciate that I backed away from the big rush. I'll get back in the gym and do some stretching and I'll be ready for the spring run and be able to meet a few of the names that post here.

Hey Chief500,

Getting in shape is a great idea no matter what the reason!

I'm 46 myself and find I think of the possible consequences first a bit more now than I used to.

That doesn't mean I make the right decision, but at least I THINK!!

Fear is the great inhibitor.

You have to choose how much of what it has to say that you listen to.

The gym is a wonderful idea!!

I'm a personal trainer(wed,fri & sat)at NY Sports Club in WHitestone and another in the Bulova bldg off the Grand Central in Jackson Hts.

If you like, let me know and I'll get you in.

Help you get started.

DASBOOTbiggrin.gif

I spent a lot of time playing/learning with the yak. My first year I fished most of the time alone. I do a great many sports alone and I tend to be more conservative because of the obvious reason that if I get in trouble I am alone.

When I practiced surf launches I did so in the middle of the summer so the water was warm and there were people around. I did the same thing for a river and rapids. I went to the Delaware where the Lehigh and it meet on a warm August Sunday when there were lots of people about. I wanted to practice paddling with and against currents and to see if it was possibly to anchor in currents and fish. This would be great, if possible, for fishing in spring during the shad run. It was easy and I learned what I could and shouldn't do.

A fishing kayak is a wonderful tool but like any it needs to be used properly. Its amazing what you can do with one, but its far better to work up to it slowly through experience.

Dad,thanks for the offer. Since I live downin PA near Phila it would be a heck of a ride. Now if you wanna send me a program to use that would be great. I started lifting so help my back after surgery. It has worked well.

Jon,that's what I'm using this fall and spring for. Practicing and getting familiar with the yak and me in or out of it.