USCG Reg on lighting for kayaks

7 posts in this topic

I just received the response from the US Coast Guard. Hope you guys find this

informative.

================================== ===========

From: "Dickerson, Timothy LT" <TDickerson@grumsolis.uscg.mil>

Subject: RE: Lighting regulations for kayaks

Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:50:35 -0400

In accordance with the Inland Navigation Rules, Rule 25 (d)(ii), you may either show lights like a sailboat (Port & Starboard side lights plus a stern light or the combined lights for the mast head.) or have ready at hand an electric torch (flashlight) or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.

In addition, I should mention the sound producing device. Inland Navigation Rule 33 says that if you do not carry a whistle and a bell which meet the specifications in Annex III of the Navigation Rules, you shall provide some other means of making an efficient sound signal. For a vessel less than 12 meters in length, when operating in or near an area of restricted visibility, you must either make the required sound signals as a larger vessel would, or make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes.

We have had several close calls with paddlers operating in the fog coming very close to being run down by a ferry because they were not sounding any signals as required by the navigation rules.

Here is a link to the Connecticut Boaters Guide. It may be useful.

http://dep.state.ct.us/rec/boating/boaters.htm

If you have any further questions, please ask.

V/R,

Timothy E. Dickerson, LT

Asst. Senior Investigating Officer

Group/MSO Long Island Sound

(203)468-4501 Fax: (203)468-4445

e-mail: tdickerson@grumsolis.uscg.mil http://www.uscg.mil/d1/units/grumsolis

Thanks for posting that Sin, sorry I've forgotten to look for the link to the USCG Inland Regs. I promise to do that, there's other material that's good to know. even if we are sort of helpless out there.