Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Porter

Point Lookout, NC

7 posts in this topic

The comment Jons made under the "Help with drum fishing" thread really struck a chord with me.

I've long been interested in going to the Core Banks area of NC but some recent information I've learned about the area, especially Pt. Lookout, have me more jazzed than ever to go. There are satellite pics available online, such as those at mapquest.com (try searching for Harkers Island), that make the fish holding potential of the area look like Cape Point would pale by comparison. It also looks like, as JonS said, the area could be very yakable, especially the waters inside the hook area. In addition, the area behind the islands is a maze of flats and channels that should keep out nearly all boats but ours.

Upside? Near-virgin fishing grounds, undisturbed waters, year-round potential, little fishing pressure, waaaayy big cool factor, etc...

Downside? Access by ferry only, heap-big long drive (8+ hours from Baltimore, more for most of y'all), no facilities (bring everything inc. bait), need to travel with others to maximize safety.

Options? Drive to Harkers Island, NC (near Beaufort/Gloucester area), take ferry to island w/ beach buggies, live in the wilderness for a while. Cool, eh?

This is kind of a dream trip for me that will take mucho planning to pull off. I've already gotten interest from a longtime fishing buddy in Richmond (he doesn't have to drive too far) that has a Jeep so we've already got two vehicles in the mix.

How's about some more information and input on this one? Anybody have ideas on how to make it happen or what type of things should be planned for? Anybody else interested in a big jaunt like this?

Chris

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 01-26-2002).]

Porter, what time of year are you thinking of? If I'm still in these parts I'm interested. Joey is mucho but he's got Costa Rica on his mind since he's leaving Thursday for 3 weeks. Tidewater got to know those guides well and said that they're terrific people. They'd be a good source of info. Their suggestion is to stay in Moorehead City or Beaufort and the inlet where they fish is Beaufort. This location gives great access to both the Newport and North River backwaters. That's where they're fishing reds and they say that its desolate.

By the way they get giants in 10' of water there. Now that would be a sleigh ride. The giants sometimes crash the bar to get at the fish inside!

I lived in Beaufort and ran worked charter and work boats for three years. It is a kayakers dream area. The places you can access are amazing. My in-laws live there and I still get down about once a month. 4 hours for me.I am a Ct. yankee by birth.

You are correct in your assesment of the area. What you are suggesting is quite doable. When I was there my focus was primarily the offshore waters, I still managed to get in some shallow water time. I have been working on a rig to fight a giant with out of a kayak, will be ready next year, my attempts to this point have been humbling.

I would really suggest that you go there on an exploritory trip first to gain some knowledge. Look up Cape Lookout Charters for up to date inshore info. Captain Dave and I have fished together and he has been written up in several outdoor mags.You would put yourselve five trips ahead o a good kayak fishing weekend by hooking up with him for a half day fishing. Read his reports and get some charts at the least and mark where he's talking about. The sight casting for the puppy and bigger drum is starting now in the marshes and the big stripers are in at the point and righ in the inlet. If you end up looking for places to stay,let me know. I have sime to suggest and some not.

Thanks for the info. I think Dave's they guy I spoke with at the show. I'll have to check. That area sure does look prime and with the east/west it has great protection from northern weather.

The local paper has a report. not always current. This paper only comes out three times a week. www.carteretnewstimes.com. Between Dave's reports and the papers report you will get enough info on whats biting. Just pick a time of the year. I used to live on a boat on the Beaufort waterfront, 4 years ago, and I always had a line over the side. Spring stripers, spots,and croakers. As the season went on cobia, drum, sharks and rays that would test your back on 50# stand-up from the dock. Flounder and specs.

The real beauty of the area is that there are a lot of places to "hide" from the wind for a kayaker. You just have to be flexible on what you want to catch and find the not published, but still legal, places to launch.

Beagle,

Welcome to SOL! Hope you find a nice home here.

Thanks a ton for the information. There's about a thousand question I want to ask you but I'm short on time this week. Plenty of winter left, we'll get to them.

One easy question though, if you're 4 hours away, where exactly does that put you?

Chris

I moved down here in march from RI. Have never lived more than 20 minutes from salt h2o in my life. It is tough. I'm in the High Point area now. Lakes and resevoirs just don't cut it for me. I'm learning all over again how to fish fresh water. Have not found anything that can tow me around yet. I get down to the coast enough to ease the pain.

Great site, glad I found it and hope I can contribute to it. Any ?? on polyethelene kayaks I can help with, fire away. Without going into detail, I know a "little" about it.