Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sleepyhead

37 posts in this topic

Hey guys I have gotten tha bug. I have been looking at the tarpon 16' and the 12' models. I understand that the 16' is alittle faster but I will also be fishing some lakes to. So my question is will the 12'model work in the ocean fishing fer stripers?

Tough time of year as peoples attention turns to other things.Don't take it personal...............but I know how it feels to post a question and get no responses( never here though!)

I have no experience in those kayaks so can't help.Sorry!

You really need to paddle them both for yourself to understand them.

Longer = faster

Hope these other folks chip in.

C'mon ..............help this person out !

Sorry Sleepy Head I missed ya.

Anyway I have 2 160 Tarpon his and hers. Also paddled the 120.You can fish the 160 anywhere the 120 will go.But you cant turn around in a 13 ft wide creek.

The 160 is a great boat .I would much rather have the rear hatch than a tank well.Its very easy to access just by sitting sideways in the yak.DougM fly fishes that way.Its easy once you get used to it.Right now I think the 160 is one of the best SOTs out there.If someone has one better I will buy it.Its fast stable and can hold a ton of stuff.Ask DougM about his kitchen sink .

Speed isnt the issue its the ease of paddling as I call it .Less strokes to go as far as a smaller yak.Most people that have or have traded up to the 160 like it.

There are some other good yaks out there.There also is a new one coming out this spring the JONS fisherman model wich will be 14ft and have a bunch of features that others dont.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Thanks for the reply. I did like the 16 just because it was bigger , however the factory seat on the 16 sucks! But I think if it had the big open space that the 12 has in the back instead of the hatch that would make it easier to get into. It feels funny trying to get into the hatch on the floor moreless while it is on the water. But hey I'm just learning about this yaking stuff. However I will have one by spring time so I go to the OBX and catch some fish on it.Thanks

Greetings,

I'm new here and fairly new to fishing as well. Later summer / fall 2002 was my first season back in over 20 yrs.

I fancy myself a beginner surf caster but I'm considering a kayak for ponds / lakes / bays for this season.

I read Joev's comment, "Right now I think the 160 is one of the best SOTs out there" and I'm wondering what you folks think of the Tarpon Angler.

Also, can you change the stock seat to a fishing seat w/ higher back? And... Any comments on the to-be-released Ocean Kayak Prowler?

Thanks for any feedback.

Best regards,

Rob (Connecticut)

[This message has been edited by MtnBrz1 (edited 01-08-2003).]

Rob Like JimW said the Angler just has a few things added from the factory with a highr $ tag.Same boat.My first Tarpon was the Angler.The last 2 I bought were just the STD. boat w/rudder.I will rig them for my needs.

That OK looks nice but alot more weight.The 160 is about as much as I want to drag around .We will have to see about it once they come out.I plan on doing some test paddles on new yaks this spring.

Welcome to the site .

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Thanks Joe.

In your opinion, would it be more cost effective to purchase the standard Tarpon and outfit it with angling seat, rod & paddle holders, ... than to purchase the angler?

Thanks again,

Rob

Ya gotta upgrade the seat.......I wouldnt last 1 hour in that seat.

My opinion, get the stock boat and outfit it as you figure out what oyu need.

flushmount, 7$

ram rod holder 40$

anchor 5$

achor line 5$

The seat is a biggie.......120$ but its worth it.

When you do it your self things go where you want them, where they work best for you, not where some factory guy decided to put them.

JoeV is right baout ease of paddling. In my old FnD I battled to keep up and wore myself out. In the tarpon I work half as hard and just glide along smile.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

Pungo Pungo go check out a 12' pungo

plenty of room and will handle the ocean just fine,keep you dry and warm too.

p.s. those S.O.T guys will never get it.

cwm12.gifcwm12.gifcwm12.gif

------------------

BluesCruiser~~~<*)))><}