Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishnmusicn

ocean kayak caper

10 posts in this topic

Was wondering if anyone has seen the new Caper from Ocean kayak? I saw one for the first time today. Its supposedly a smaller cousin to the Drifter. 11' long, 30" wide, 45 lbs. Has the same size hatch up front as the Drifter and a tankwell in the back. It looked like it might be a good dual purpose kayak for freshwater and salt, maybe comparable to the Cobra explorer, I don't know. Still trying to decide on a first sit on top, already have a SINK. It was very light to pick up and storage might be decent with the big hatch up front.

Fishnmusicn,

I'm in the same kayak as you are, ba dum dumpbiggrin.gif My fishing partner and I went to look at kayaks this weekend and also saw the Caper. The cobra explorer caught my eye from the beginning and when I saw the caper it reminded me of the explorer. For me I found that the explorer looks like it would be better.Here are some reasons.

1. The explorers' rear looks a little more roomier than the caper. I figure that the caper has enough room for rodholders and a small container. The explorer has room for that plus more.

2. The explorer is the same length but has a 31 inch width where the caper is 30, and the explorer is 5 lbs lighter, 40 vs. 45.

3. The explorer is also lighter in the price area by $50.00.

Here are the 2:

explorer_t.gif

Caper.

' alt='> '>

------------------

Fish on'

Thanx for the pix. I may be leaning towards the drifter, only 20 bucks more with the option for a rudder and all that weight capacity and room. The main thing that appealed to me with the Caper was the light weight and shorter lenghth maneuverability for rivers and big creeks. Ah decisions decisions !!confused.gif

In this class there will be a new kayak that will be unveiled at the Somerset Show later this month. Its from a new company called Emotion and its called the Excellerator. It will be similar to an Explorer but with an extra set of rungs to accommodate more legroom. It will have a 10" center hatch like the Explorer. A better designed hull for both a quieter ride and more speed. The edges are beveled to easily accept straight flush mounted rod holders. The rear tankwell is designed to accept a milk crate to give another storage option. It will also have built in rubber handles. It will also have a dry drainage seat well that pulls water to the forward scuppers.

------------------

JonS@****stuff.com

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 01-14-2003).]