Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Shopping experiences -- Feedback Appreciated!

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys-

First off, let me start by thanking everyone for their help with getting started in the pursuit of purchasing my first kayak. You all have been nothing short of the most valuable resource of information for myself, as well as others who have preceeded me in entering this great sport. With that said, I would like to let you all know how things have been going for me since initiating my search.

I had the opportunity to look at a number of yaks...the first on the list were Cobra Explorer and Navigator. I was amazed at both the width and how light each one was given the fact they they looked like they would be much heavier based on the hull design. In my limited opinion, these two look to be the most stable of the bunch I saw, which is one of the most important characteristics I am concerned with. Initially, I thought the Explorer would be what I would go with --had I been forced to chose between these two only--but after having seen both in person, I am now leaning more towards the Navigator. It didn't seem like it would be a problem for a "vertically challenged" person (5'7", 165#), in light of the fact that Cobera markets the yak for taller anglers uncomfortable in an Explorer. Additionally, I do like the fact that the Nav. is a faster boat.

Next up was the Tarpon. IMHO, this boat was long, sleek-looking, and narrower than the Cobras. Truthfully, the additionaly length is somewhat of a drawback, given the fact that I have limited space in my apartment to store the boat. (Note: I am contemplating the option of hanging the yak from the ceiling.) coupled with the increased price tag, I was not confident when walking out of the store that I would soon be fishing from a Tarpon. I have ruled out the Tarpon completely, but it is safe to say it is towrds the bottom of the short list of boats I am considering.

The Scupper Pro TW. I liked this one too! The only thing that sticks out in my mind when comparing the Navigator and the Scupper is the added width (stability?) of the Navigator. If I am remembering correctly, the hatches of the Nav. seemed somewhat larger as well. I liked the Scupper better than the tarpon, but still feel as though my gut is leaning more towards the Navigator. This one, however, is still "up in the air". wink.gif

Perception Swing. Unfortunately, I have not yet check out this kayak. Hopefully, I will have the chance some time over the course of the next few days to get to a local dealer to check this one out. It is the last one on my list of potentials.

So, where do i satnd as of this moment? Right now, if I were forced to make a decision, I would rank these in the following order:

1. Navigator

2. Explorer/Scupper pro TW

3. Peception Swing***

4. Tarpon

***Remains to be seen

The final consideration, I'm afraid, will come down to price. I want to make sure, at this point, that I look at each baot for what it is and what it offers, and THEN factor my financial considerations in. Hopefully, this allows me to make the best decision based on my fishing needs.

The final aspect (car top carriers) has yet to be initiated in earnest. Today, I am going to try and check out the Yakuma kayak stacker, as I like the idea of transporting the kayak on edge. This way, I hopefully will be able to also place a small set of ski racks next to the kayak to transport assembled flyrods (for short distance trips only).

I am headed out the door, so I don't really have the time to proof read this post. Forgive the spelling errors! biggrin.gif

Again, input/suggestions are appreciated!

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

JoeB, the stackers are generally for short kayaks like White water ones.

Cobras have a high sitting position (except for the Tourer in their yaks that are used for fishing) so they need to be wider to offset this. Wider isn't necessarily more stable. It depends upon where you're sitting in relationship to the water. The Explorer is the more stable of the two. I like the Navigator alot but it is the most tippy of all the Cobras that I've paddled and lived with (Tourer, Explorer, Nav, FnD, Tandem). Cobra's are very light and easy to handle. Joey use to take his to his 4th flour studio apartment and keep it on the patio terrace. He can't do that with his Scupper. At your size I'd get the Explorer and save some $$$. the difference in speed between the two isn't very much. At most 10%. The other inexpensive SOT to look at in the Explorer's class is the Scrambler XT. I prefer the Explorer.

At your dimensions the OK Scupper Classic would also work well for you too. It's a little shorter than the Scupper TW and better suited for non-big guys. The Scupper TW accomidates small to average plus but doesn't handle big men.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 03-20-2002).]

Joe, too bad you so far away.

I'd let you take my Nav out.

If you do get to Queen's before you make a purchase, contact me and we'll set something up.

All I can say is, I LOVE THE NAVIGATOR!

Explorer was a bit too small.

DASBOOT

Thanks for the replies, guys.

JonS-

I'm glad I'm clear now on the factors that made a kayak stable in the water. I also didn't realize the difference in speed b/t the Nav and the Explorer was that minimal, as the salesman I was speaking with was telling me otherwise. My $$ is on you, though. wink.gif

DASBOOT-

Belive me, buddy, I'm not too psyched about being in Albany stuck in lectures either. If, by some chence I get some freetime, I will be to let you know. I appreciate your offer. smile.gif

I looked into the kayak stackers, not knowing they were primarily for the whitewater style crafts. No purchases made (keeping my initial promise to shop hard before the $$ somes out!). I guess I'll resign myself to taking all of this in stride--one step at a time.

Reviewing my options during the drive to an from the shop, I feel better about owning an Explorer than then rest (at least at this point). All factors taken into consideration ($$$, size, conditions I plan to fish, weight, ability to be better stored in my apartment, etc) all point to this being the kayak best suited for my purposes.

I'm not closing off others options just yet. babysteps...just taking baby steps at this point. biggrin.gif

I WILL however, ammend my early statement declaring that I wasn't planning on fishing out of a kayak this season. smile.gif I won't be prepared to make the yak fling this spring, but I'm looking forward to (hopefully) getting into some fish and learning the subtleties of kayak fishing THIS season.

Like everyone has said, one commen regret mentioned was not getting into a kayak sooner and missing out on good fishing opportunities. I look forward to this not being the case for me this season!

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

Joe, go for it.

I heard of thule racks being blown off a car last weekend. The store thought it was at least partly because they used stackers with a 30 inch wide kayak on a day with 50 mph gusts. Kayaks are probably happiest cutting thru the air in the same postion they cut thru the water. And don't forget to tie the stems to the bumpers or frame, eliminates alot of worries.

Jim

I think the Explorer may be slightly faster than the Navigator. You would think the longer yak would be quiker but a longer hull creates more drag when it is of the same width. I never tested it with a gps but it feels that way. Now someone around 225 to 250 lbs would see a speed advantage with the Navigator. My wife brings down large yaks from our wharehouse on a regular basis using the stackers. But they are the old u- shaped steel ones. The new ones I have not tested yet.

barrell