Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Sometimes a kayak is too stealthy.

8 posts in this topic

Had lots to do Saturday so I just hit my local lake in the late afternoon early evening. I had a new 8 wt. I wanted to play with. So I was tossing mini crease flies to small largemouths and big bull bluegills when I look to my left. Close enough to wak with a paddle is a brown trout that was in excess of 2' by a chunk. So here I am with a 9' rod trying not to move it and scare him off. So I continue to retrieve the fly making it pop in hopes that it gets his attention. No go. So when the fly is closer I slowly tried to move the rod and get the fly into his view. No go again. The slow moving of the fly rod tipped him off. He didn't scatter but did what I find typical. He knew something wasn't right and slowing moved off back to a shallow rocky area. I switched flies and worked the area but Nada.

You know when they're that big and that close there ain't nothing foolin' them. He was watching you for a while before you saw him, I bet, it was only when you acknowedged that you saw him that he backed out. But now you know where he lives and if you got an 80 ft cast and you go in the dark and you don't bang the paddle against the yak... wink.gif

I think JimW is right. The trout was checking you out for a while and when your eyes met, he got al flustered and ran away... "those eeyyyeeess" - Predator cwm35.gif

He didn't move off until I slowly moved the fly rod. Actually instead of diving in I could have wakked him with the paddle, but its hard to practice catch and release after you bash their heads in.