Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnP

From googhan to rabid, and back to googhan

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I seem to notice a life cycle thing among the surf rats. Stage one is just your average guy who just found out he was holding his reel upside down. A couple of seasons pass. At some point, he gets a taste of it, enjoys some success, maybe bags a big one, and in due course he's sleeping in his truck between tides, trolling for information wherever and whenever he can get it. If he gets bitten by the bug bad enough, he throws violent fits if he finds he missed a good bite. At some point he either discovers for himself (or his ex tells him as she walks out) that this obsession thing is ruining him, the marriage, his career, his family, etc. Either he keeps on going, in denial, or leaves the game altogether. How many have seen this? How many "montauk regulars of 10 yrs ago are nowhere to be found on the beaches these days?

A final stage may actually be returning to some form of googhanism. Well, maybe not in that sense, but, now fishing in short boots is about as wet as he will get. He will throw one or two plugs, period. He no longer obsesses about the hot lure or the hot color. And maybe he even doesnt care if he missed a blitz - he;s just as happy playing with small fish on his terms. The ultimate terminal case I saw a few years back was a guy who was throwing a pencil into a blitz, but the lure had no hooks. Still he was giddy with delight and laughed out loud as the fish slapped the pencil all over the water. I came to realize that such a guy has really regressed back to doing the "wrong" things, only now for the "right" reasons?

Anyway, it makes me think about what fishing means to me.

Where do you see yourself and do you think you will change in the years ahead?

In your "fishermens life cycle", Im still trying to figure out the correct way to hold my reel.. smile.gif

Ill let you know after I learn that, catch a big fish, and then buy some "Montauk White Boots"

LOL

Interesting question tho!

BC

I'm still at that "fishing is ruining all of my relationships, marriages, jobs, etc" stage.

I have a job that lets me get up early and fish for a few hours before I go in and still catch the evening bite afterwards, a marriage that is over because I opted to go fishing too many times rather than stay at home, no friends really except for those I fish with, no money left because I buy too much tackle or spend it on fishing in some way shape or form and quite frankly, I've been like that for over 10 years. And I don't see it changing short of serious illness or death. Even in serious illness, so long as I can still stand and cast, I'm there.

I wouldn't call it denial, I'd just call it a chosen path. It's what I want. I'll admit that it can be lonely at times, but that's what I have SOL for. cwm27.gif

10 years ago I had a night job that allowed me to fish mornings and evenings when the weather was cooled down, I was working 10 on and 4 off so that I could fly or drive to other parts of the country to fish, I was in my first real relationship (that fishing ended) and I was at least, saving up money.

5 years ago I had a 5 day vacation to Canada planned to go fishing and didn't come home for a year after spending almost 6 months fishing in Canada and then flying to Central America to fish the rest of it. I came home and got a job that allowed me to travel and to fish.

3 years ago I was living in NC on a private stretch of tailwater and working nights so that I never missed a morning or evening hatch.

2 years ago I was living in CA and married... but fishing eventually became a big part of why that one failed.

Now I'm just happy being single, fishing when I want to, keeping up my dogged record of at LEAST 200 days of fishing a year... sometimes more than 300.... and don't plan on changing for anyone or anything. I get grouchy if I don't fish for more than a couple days straight. My present boss says I'm the first employee he's had in 40 years of management that requested a vacation not by dates, but by moon phases and tides.

Sick ain't it?

For me the big cycle was 1- I just gotta catch a fish 2- I just gotta catch a lot of fish 3- I just gotta catch a BIG fish and now 4- I just gotta go fishing. I'm at stage 4.

Hi, my name is Tammy, and I'm a fish addict. HappyWave.gif

For me the big cycle was 1- I just gotta catch a fish 2- I just gotta catch a lot of fish 3- I just gotta catch a BIG fish and now 4- I just gotta go fishing. I'm at stage 4.

yup that's the one smile.gif and now i'm out the door to go fishing HappyWave.gif

I have a terminal case of "an enabling wife". My wife tells me to go fishing! She says,"you worked hard all day or week, why don't you go and fish for a little while"? I don't know where I'm headed!

Bobby, the next time your wife tells you to go fishing... grab all yer gear, drive around the block and walk back around to hide in the bushes by yer house. Hope ya don't see anything but yer wife doin dishes. biggrin.gifwink.giftongue.gifcwm31.gifeek.gif

Without going into to much detail, I'll confirm that I've lived that cycle in freshwater..

started fishing with grandpa when i was big enough to walk...

Caught two 15# blues when I was 13.. that pretty much did me in.

got the bug bad in high school (LMB's) and started fishing tournaments before i had my license...got worse after that.. sat in classes in college trying to map out strategies for the tournament I had that weekend instead of taking notes...

got married out of college and got a nice boat and that started the demise for me... 40+ weekends a year.. not fun fishing, practicing for tournaments or in tournaments... probably had only one or two trips a year because "they were biting at lake B"... always had to go to Lake A becaue that's where the next tournament was... was addicted but having no fun.. mega stress on the wallet and the marriage.... about lost the most awesome wife in the world and finally got a clue and quit cold turkey.. for me, that was the only way i could do it.. did not touch a rod for nearly 3 years..

gradually started piddling again with some friends 4 or 5 times a year for fun in freshwater and started doing the outerbanks surf-fishing thing 2-4 times a year....

two chaps now and the oldest has no interest, but my five year old daughter wants me to take her casting TONIGHT!! lg_smile.gif I miss fishing a lot, but wouldn't trade it for what I have.. I'm just kinda one of those people that is not wired to do anything in moderation... (obsessive comes to mind).... so now I scratch my itch by obsessing with equipment (which doesn't take me from home) and fish when I can and it is ALL fun and relaxing when i go.. I go to the OBX completely by myself sometimes now for several days... I've finally shaken the burden that the trip is a failure if you don't catch the biggest fish of your life....It took me 10 years after fishing tournaments to actually go home with good thoughts after a trip, instead of beating myself up because I didn't do something right.. I know, I'm mental.

I'm enjoying it so much more now, but time is a factor for me..

Wife loves to fish too, but she won't take the time now to do it...

I've reconciled myself to the fact that I'll get all the fishing in I want (with my wife) when I retire, God willing...

For now, I'll just keep bugging you guys.

I don't think anyone really asked for all that? redface.gif

With the wife and kids, firehouse, golf and fishing things can get a tad busy. Back surgery slowed me down alot.

I played money rough touch until I was 40, played money softball to the same time.

Then my daughter took over, one of the better pitchers in the area, travel teams, games and practice, raising funds, traveled from Conn to SC and as far west as Ill for tournaments. She then went to college and lost interest after doing that for 11 years.

My son has asthma, can't play football (which is OK) si he wants to play golf for the high school team. Lessons, practice going and playing with him, hitting balls for an hour or so 2-3 times a week.

Besides running to fires and emergencies when I can. Playing golf with my club. Then getting to fish when I can gets a tad tough. It's my get away. She knows it and has no problem with with it as long as I'm safe. No drinking and going out on to jetties or driving. I'm not a goog but I'm not as die hard as I could be.

Some people forget that all it is supposed to be is fun.

If you derive more that is great. But when fishing or anything for that matter (work, drinking, internet) occupies a position your life that prevents you from dealing with and coping day to day life it becomes an addiction and ultimately damaging.

It sounds like the third stage is not a return back downward to googhanism but a transformation to a higher, more complete stage. You understand the part fishing plays in your life and you enjoy it for what it really is, a chance to be outside experiencing nature, and not a competitive catch-as-much-as-you-can experience. rolleyes.gif

Now my head hurts. I need to lie down. cwm33.gif

I am just starting out in this cycle due to uncontrolable life turns. my grandfather was from everyone I talked to an avid salty but he passed when I was 5 so I never did learn his lessons. (I'm searching my mothers house for his real I know she didn't scap them). did a whole bunch of fresh water fishing when I was younger never any salt. this year a buddy asked if I wanted to go out for sum cod fish at stalwagen bank (spelling?) although it was not really exciting it was fun. than I went with him and caught a couple schoolies. I was hooked now I am out once a week at least still hoding my rod upside down (the rods an unglystick) it was one of those $70 specials rod and reel package. I have spent the summer buying as many lures a I can trying diffent things and always chucking bait. I even came up with the idea of going with my 6 year old daughter with her using smaller hooks to target bait fish that I can live line. (I will be upgrading to a conventional this winter to start the learning process. and with all of your help I will stop being a Googan soon.