Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Fly rod with good kayak attributes

3 posts in this topic

I mentioned it but didn't elaborate. I took a Heritage 10'6" rated 7/8 out the other evening in the kayak. Longer rods are a natural for a kayak since we're sitting. I liked the rod. I think that I overlined it too much but it was fun. The added length was nice to have and made picking up the line much easier. Also what's nice is the Heritage rods are very, very, very wallet friendly. Heritage has 3 longer rods which are designed for steelhead. A 10', 10'6" and a 12' and all are single handers.

I fished the 8 a couple weeks ago and I was very impressed. I need to get some lines for the 10 I have to play with also.

I want to cast the ST Croix rod BobPop helped design for surf fishing. It's a 10" 6" 9 weight, and may be the perfect flyrod for yak fishing. I don't really have a lot of trouble with my 9 footers,though, to be completely honest, but there's always a reason to add another flyrod. My go to rod for stripers now is a Redington NTi 10 weight; it'll throw a 300-400 grain sinking line quite well from a kayak.