Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
G-Man

Kayak and kids?

8 posts in this topic

I better find a way to include the kids in my kayak adventures or my wife will start drilling the holes in my kayak!

My kids= 7yr Girl & 3yr Boy

This weekend I had them take turns in the hatch of my scupper in the shallows.

Couple questions:

1. What have others found to work for bringing a couple kids out on the lake?

2. I was thinking something like a OK Malibu two. If anyone hears of a used one at good price, I would appreciate an e-mail gwhite@concord.com.

I'm curious what other family guys have done.

Thanks Guys

I know everybody's real hot for kayaks on this board but I always found kids, lakes and canoes go well together. Canoes are amazingly versatile and can accomodate the whole family.

G-man,

I've had great success with my Pungo and my kids! Because the cockpit is so large, you can seat them down right in front of you and still have plenty of room for legs. Just remember to bring some sort of cushion for them to sit on. Also, I was able to teach them to paddle.

It didn't take long- they wanted and got their on yaks. Now they're 9 and 12 and I have no problem letting them go by themselves as long as they stay in the coves.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Dougie V

I'd say get a small cobra or ocean kayak kids model sit on top. Get them the correct kid size paddles and pfds. Then put the kayak in the yard, or basement or garage and let them play in/on/with it any time they want to. Then supervise them on the water and before you know it, you'll have water kids!

I have a kayak for my 10 year old. She started paddling when she turned 7. Could have started her earlier. When they get tired, don't push it. Sometimes a 30 minute session is max.

You could get a Cobra triple too! 800 pound capacity and stable(heavy though)

S1

Thanks guys,

3 completely diff responses, all of which make sense. I'll put some more thought and research on it.

Other thoughts still welcome.

Thanks

Interesting....and I sorta agree with everybody, despite the apparent differences.

Yes, a canoe is great with kids. Used a 16-footer with mine. PFD'd and seat cushioned, they were comfortable in the middle when small.

They were allowed to paddle themselves after learning to swim well....by ages 7 or 8, as I recall...and only in sheltered water.

My youngest had his own kayak at age 8--a stubby and stable, inexpensive Keowee sort of sit-inside. He had a ball immediately. Did a lot for his growing self-confidence and sense of independence....

So I think you're all correct...depends on the family, relative comfort levels, and developing skills...

Hope that's helpful... --OJ

When I was shopping for yaks, I chose the Perception America, in part, because it comes with a snap in child seat ($30 extra). I take my 2 and 4 year old out with me all the time. It's great for the two year old, because I can grab her with my knees if she decides to chase the sunny I'm throwing back. I also have a 17 foot canoe that's best for the whole family.

My now 9 year old paddles an OK frenzy which he learned to use when he was 7. Works great. Scott