Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CliffB

Kayak Carrier???

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering what kind everyone uses.I've been strapping it on to the roof rack bar's,but I'd like to get a set that would secure it a little better.I looked at the ones with the wheels on the rear bar,but I've seen some that I like better than those.Any suggestions?

Ive been strapping it down to the roof of my sister's 90 camry with pool noodles, straps through the doors of the car, and scuppers with bow and stern tie downs. This thing holds perfectly even at high highway speeds(85mph). I just ductape the bow and stern handles because they make an odd noise when they move around and them blowing around gets annoying

Tom

Jon sold me the foam V blocks and strap system the day I bought my yak. It is easy to use and holds well. The only thing is sliding the yak on the foam blocks after a day on the water. The sand/dirt makes it tough but I tried some silicone spray on the blocks to make it slippery. I would like to modify my racks to be wider to put two yaks on top and make room for my rod holders.

Cliff, what is a standard Jeep rack? Are the cross bars oblong shaped like these pictured here? If so the setup that Salty is using is great for one kayak. DCVER is using the same thing.

Subaruoblong.jpg

A simple set of 15 foot strps is all You need. Remember to use the excess strap to go through the scupper holes and tie off. Email me a fax number for a detailed scetch.Putting yaks directly on the roof can result in severe scratches and permanent dents in the roof of the car.

Barrell

I was hauling my wooden yak on a Jeep Cherokee for a while with foam blocks and 15 ft straps. Worked fine although it is easier to load and unload with bars. You don't have to reach over the roof as much. Jeep factory racks are pretty strong