Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brandon

Fishing from my Yak

14 posts in this topic

I fish from my yak but I have a problem keeping my tackle in an easy to reach place. I don't have a yak strictly for fishing, I have 9'6" Mainstream rec yak. I put my tackle inbetween my legs but it gets in the way and is hard to reach. does anybody have any suggestions on a bracket I can make for on top of the yak or something that I can put my tackle in. confused.gif

hey brandon you need to make a trip to walmart or somewhere like that there are several small containers that work well for tackle i use a freshwater trout fishing vest it has lotsa pockets for all kinds of tackle plus you wear it so its never in the way and the tackle is easy to reach it works for me good luck

jim

Have everything together and ready to mount an anchor / drift sock set up but haven't done that yet.

As far as the Fish Finder goes: That is a Humminbird Piranha portable unit that runs on AA batteries. The batteries are in a waterproof compartment located in the base. It works out well for me because everything else I own runs on AA's. Besides that, I store my yak on a rack at the lake. The transducer and cable wrap up inside that base and it all folds up very nicely for carrying home.

barandon, Everything you need to be a succesfull kayak fisherman can fit into a zip lock bag. I go out with guys who bang stripers big time and only cary 1/2 dozen jigs with them. If a guy wants to cary all the gear he owns he has every right to but the beauty of yak fishing is its simplicity.

Barrell

ps consider wearing one of those cheap fly fishing vests with all the zipper pockets.

I agree Barrell!

I've been out in my OK Prowler about 10 times this year. About 7 SW trips and 5 or 6 FW. A few times out I took all but the kitchen sink. eek.gif

Now I stick to a few jigs, plugs and some bait rigs in one small bag. and have done well every time.

Keeping it simple allows you to focus time reading the water and concentrating on your fishing rather than all of the gear around you.

Presentation and placement is everything. wink.gif

I fish from my yak but I have a problem keeping my tackle in an easy to reach place. I don't have a yak strictly for fishing, I have 9'6" Mainstream rec yak. I put my tackle inbetween my legs but it gets in the way and is hard to reach. does anybody have any suggestions on a bracket I can make for on top of the yak or something that I can put my tackle in. confused.gif

Yeah I do the same. I was thinking about a mount right in the front for tackle. I'm heading to Me next week to try it on the ocean. I'm excited and weary about hooking into a big blue or striper. The biggest fish yet out of the Kayak was a 10lb pike.Know anything about striper fishing from them.

barandon, Everything you need to be a succesfull kayak fisherman can fit into a zip lock bag. I go out with guys who bang stripers big time and only cary 1/2 dozen jigs with them. If a guy wants to cary all the gear he owns he has every right to but the beauty of yak fishing is its simplicity.

Barrell

ps consider wearing one of those cheap fly fishing vests with all the zipper pockets.

Another Brandon! I wondered how it was to hook a striper in a Preciscion 9.5 Justy, heading to Pemiquid, ME and wanted to try my luck. Never ocean fished in one. Thanks!