Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jersey Boy

Large

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Need a little help.

I want to catch large.

Correct me if I am wrong. The fastest way to large is casting eels at night. The rod should be a Loomis SWR-108-20C or Lamiglas XS91MHC. The reel should be Abu 6500c3ct mag loaded with 50# Whiplash.

Can someone provide info on the Sabor eel rod. The modle# and desciption would be good.

Also, what spinning rod, reel, and line can be recomended for eeling.

I do most of my fishing from Sandy Hook to Island Beach.

Great BB and Great People! Thanks for the info.

Jersey Boy

JB, the rods you mentioned are good eel sticks, but there are others that will work. A 9-footer is all the rod you'll need for most eel fishing. You will not be tossing eels into an onshore gale. One thing you do have to be careful about, with fishing live eels, you don't want a rod that is too stiff. What you will find is that you will often tear the hooks thru the eel's head on the cast with a pool cue actioned rod. That Loomis has a very fast action, but enough "give" to the tip to avoid ripping hooks. I used it all year for fishing eels and I haven't torn a hook thru yet with it. The Lami is a little stiffer, but probably bends more into the butt than the Loomis.

Both of those rods come in spinning models. There is a 9' Lami spin model in their series of factory rods, and the spinning version of that Loomis is the SUR 1084. As far as reels go, I'm a big fan of the Penn 704 for mono. It is not too big to balance a 9' rod. That Mitchell Neptune is getting rave reviews, too. That will also handle braid. If you are going to fish strictly braid, something like a Daiwa 2600 or a Sustain 6000 is the size I would look to for a 9' rod. The smaller reels, like the 4000 size Shimanos, won't balance those bigger rods the right way.

The Sabre blank that I think is the best for tossing eels is the 1088. They only come as blanks, as far as I know, but they are reasonably priced for an IM 6 graphite blank and you can get them as a finished custom rod for less than the factory Lami and Loomis. This Sabre, at least if it's a genuine Sabre, has a moderate/fast taper, it bends about a third of the way into the butt and the tip is not ultra-fast. Just be advised, I found out just yesterday that there's a company out there that is apparently selling different blanks and representing them to tackle shops as genuine Sabres, when in fact they are not. I unfortunately bought one last fall, it seems. I'm still trying to find out the story on that.

hey mike i take it that you got that rod from cape cod tackle. i just order a 1088 from him now you got me a little nervous.are these blanks of less quality or workmanship.if you did buy it from him do you know what he is doing about the problem.sure would like to know the details on this.

CMS, I'm still not exactly clear on what happened with those rods. From what Mike said, apparently he took delivery of 15 blanks from a company named Versatek. He said they were represented to him as Sabre blanks but they were selling for less, wholesale, than the ones he was getting direct from Sabre. It turns out that they were NOT Sabre blanks--how and when Mike found out, I haven't been able to ascertain. I don't know whether he sold the other 14 or returned them. He says he is no longer doing business with Versatek. So I imagine any rod you order now from Mike will be built on a real Sabre blank.

Mike has offered to take back the rod I have and replace it with a genuine Sabre, which is what I intend to have done. The blank I have has a tip a size smaller than a standard 1088, it has a more rapid taper with a softer tip than other 1088 blanks I've seen, and it is about 2" longer. I don't know about what they do now, but when Sabre made only the plum colored blank, the model code and blank number was embossed in red letters and numbers around the bottom of the blank.

When you deal in the volume that Cape Cod Tackle does, and the rods are selling as fast as you can wrap them, I guess one thing you might consider is setting up alternate sources of supply. I don't know if shops deal directly with Pacific Bay which owns Sabre or whether Sabre has a distributor network. An outfit named Cascade apparently actually builds the blanks for Sabre. Perhaps Sabre rejects a certain percentage and companies like Versatek buy the seconds and irregulars. That might be. I know that in the Northeast, both Loomis and Lamiglas have a regional distributor, Merrick Tackle in upstate NY. Any blank that comes from anyone but them likely isn't a real Lami or Loomis or is a second. I do know that Anglers' Workshop buys a lot of Lami seconds and sells them at sharply reduced prices. But they are clearly advertised as seconds with no warranty. The other concern I have, which is also a reason why I want a genuine Sabre, is whether Pac Bay will honor the Sabre warranty on these Versatek suplied blanks. I seem to have my doubts.

I should say that I have dealt with Bill Thomas, Mike's father, since the early 80s and with Mike since he took over the shop a few years ago. Neither has ever given me any indication that they would knowingly do anything unscrupulous.

If I hear any more details, I'll let you know. But I think you can rest easy, Mike just got in about 35 brand new, genuine Sabre blanks.

thanks dj for the reply. glad to hear mike will replace it for you.sounds like mike is a stand up guy.that makes me feel better about getting the rod from someone over the internet.i'm sure i'll be getting one of the rods that just came in . first custom and i can't wait.thanks again

Jersey Boy, I like the outfit you speak of wink.gif

Except I don't like live eel fishing, many folks do it, but I prefer mine rigged and dead. The single best way to catch a LARGE would be with a live bunker/herring/shad fished from a jetty or a boat between June/July. The second best way would be to throw eels at night around the same time..right up until the mullet run, then the rigged eels lose a little appeal while the mullet are around.

Best of luck in this quest for LARGE, it can be a long but rewarding journey...

TimS

Thanks for the help!

Where can I get a Sabre blank. My rod dealer said there are no genuine blanks left.

Also, where can I get the Mag E****. I tried two diffrent links and they did not work.

Again, thanks for the help and tight lines.

Well to become a "member" Jersey boy all you gotta do is catch LARGE smile.gif I am kidding actually I think it has to do with the number of posts you make.

TO get the Mag Elite Try Tres at ****.com he should have what you need he is a good guy. Tell Him I sent you by if you deal with him......

------------------

John M

[This message has been edited by John M (edited 01-13-2000).]

JohnM's right, you just gotta beach the LARGE. For most of us, it's easier to just make 5 posts, then you'll be forever rid of the junior thing! wink.gif

BTW, welcome....

TimS

Reading through this thread again, makes me realize how much I miss that 1088 Sabre with the tricked out abu mag elite. Metallic green wraps to match the reel.  Full of regret about selling that outfit.

Edited by Shag