Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AMMO

Hodson River Spring Thing?

15 posts in this topic

I seem to recall a Hudson River "end to cabin fever" kayak celebration that involved fishing for Stripers. Is it time to start getting organized?

------------------

AMMODYTE(@>

(The angler FORMERLY known as "Flounder").

Last year, I was the only one that caught anything. And the worst part is that it was such a short striper, I was embarassed to show anyone, so I let it go. An uncorroborated catch! frown.gif

It's getting closer...smile.gif There are fish there, this is the year to figure them outsmile.gif If the ice gets off the river. Plan around Mothers Day. I'll get something going soon. Scott

Anyone have site to check Hudson water temps? I will be there earlier I think, hear fish are there, need few more degrees to get them a little more active. Would like to hit Croton by the end of the month if winter ever looks like it's leaving.

Talk to ScottO. I'm not going up there again until I get notorized photos of those guys with fish. wink.gif

I'm with you JonS on that one. But you know they took good care of us..

Eddie

------------------

GoneFlyFishing33.jpg

I only catch fish on the Hudson when nobody's with me. Maybe I'll pretend to be alone this year and the fish won't notice. As a back up I'll bring the barbecue grill and the we'll wash and wax everyones vehicle to make the trip worthwhile.

Last years trip was a blast - I hope to make it up there again this year. I recall one fish caught that day by one the the local bait slingers. You must remember the guy with the single tooth? I really want to check out the Croton Estuary this season too - especially when the herring get going. Need to tie up a few 12 inch brown trout patterns - those big cows aren't too fussy biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 03-12-2003).]

Yes it's a difficult place to fish and to figure out. But....there are fish there that are huge. And they are known to be in certain places. Your chances of catching 30-50# fish is real.

For us it's the only Striper fishing in our back yard. Remember for just about anything else it's a solid 2-3 hour drive.

Hoping that our season this year provides more information on the habits of the bass in spawning and feeding moods. With more info we may be able to put more of you into fish rather than just over them.

Also from a yakkers point of view, it's and easy entry to the water, no Salty Toothy friends. No heavy rinsing of equipment needed.

So...we'll do something againa nd have you up for those interested. Foods on me. Scott

I want to try Croton area also. Adrian, pls let me know when Mike starts getting excited.

I plan to try some other spots around Kingston, too, but that's a little later.

I took one fish around 34 inches at the meadows in addition to a bunch of schoolies and saw 2 fish abt 22 lbs and 30 lbs taken on herring chunks there, could've cast from the picnic table.