Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan850

Another First

11 posts in this topic

Today 11 AM in the GSB east of the Wantagh Parkway, hanging out by the hassocks, I hit my first on a kayak - also my first on a fly rod and on a fly I tied myself. Went for the sleigh ride - what a blast, 30".

I am a happy camper. Thanks to all who advocated a yak. It's a hoot.

Dan

Great to hear about your adventure!!! thumbuprt.gifbiggrin.gificon14.gif That must have been one heck of a ride.

Do you know the GSB well? Would love to explore it for weakies and the flat ones one day.

mrsinbad,

I don't know it well, first season in the yak - but not the last, but ok I guess. Next to any of the hassocks with a straight drop to deep water works good, if it's near a creek or cut that's best.

I have a weird schedule for now, that should change in mid June, if you're up for me taging along, shoot me a PM.

Dan

Dan-

Nice going, buddy. That's awesome.

mrsinbad-

I grew up fishing GSB and know it fairly well from east of the Wantuagh pkyw to FI inlet. Fishing from a kayak will add an additional dimension that I am unfamiliar with, but I have a solid foundation to build upon and know pretty much where I plan on looking for fish. We should definately plan to hook up some time soon. icon14.gif

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

Definitely!!! Me, you, Dan and anyone else would be loads of fun. I fished from Captree party boats alot last year, and I know some spots, but the currents worry me a little, but I will defer to your experience. Looking forward to it. Let's do it after the Hudson River Fling. icon14.gif

Dan-

Yup. Once May rolls around and the yak gets outfitted, I'm making trips back as often as possible. My last 3+ weeks are "fluff" material, so there may even be a few days sprinkled in during the week when I make the trip back.

I know of a few places to put in around the Captree area. I should look into whether or not we can launch from some of the Mariana parking lots along Ocean Pkwy (don't see why not). That may be more of a weekday thing in order to avoid the boat traffic. Otherwise, there are some spots that I have had success wading from shore that would be ideal for a yak fishing get together. The only possible negative is the fact that the yak would need to cross the Pkwy to get to the bay side. I don't forsee this being a problem, though. Also looking forward to exploring more on the North shore. biggrin.gif

Definately good times ahead!

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif