Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperSull

Buying a kayak

34 posts in this topic

I'm looking into buying a fishing kayak but I really don't have too much info on them. I was just wondering what some of the best brands were, etc. Also if there were any good places to buy them from in the South Jersey or Philadelphia area. Thanks.

Check out (LINK TO COMMERCIAL SITE DELETED)

Lots of good fishing kayak brands out there now. Cobra, Emotion, Ocean Kayak plus many others all offer good sit on tops.

Alex

[ 01-19-2004, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

Do a search and read about fishing kayaks. Also run a Google search for fishing from kayaks and find out whats thge most popular kayak for fishing. You can narrow your search down to 4 kayaks then paddle each then go from there. Don't buy without trying it out first.

[ 01-19-2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

Good advice from flyrodder--Don't buy without trying. I was on vacation in Fla when one of the boat shops sponsored a demo day. In one afternoon I got to try several models. A local shop in Ct does this as well. I'm sure shops near you do it too. I wound up buying a Hobie outback and I couldn't be happier with it.

One more thing. Make sure it's comfortable - fishing takes time!

After reading what AMMODYTE posted below I edited my prior post. I'm in total agreement with what AMMODYTE posted below.

[ 01-20-2004, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: FLYRODDER ]

I'm in the market as well. Want to buy a kayak for some back bay and inlet fishing. I'll do some research but are most guys using the (pardon the terminology) "closed" kayaks that you see in FW or "sea kayaks" that are opened?

The sea kayaks are wider but will get you wet pretty quickly. Will the more narrow freswater type roll easier?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

You can't post a question like this without the well intentioned "Try before you buy." mentioned at least a half a dozen times. With all due respect gentlemen, isn't it like telling a kid who just got his learners permit to try before you buy a car? If you buy one of the yaks that is popular among the kayak fishing guys the loss you take when you sell it, assuming you don't like it, will be very cheap tuition. The learning curve is steep but not so steep that you can make a good decision on the first day you paddle one.

If you buy a car that you haven't tried, when the seatbelt rubs your neck raw, or you get a backache from the bucket seat, you only have yourself to blame.

"Try before you buy" is sound advice, there is only one person who must be comfortable in your selection. Try 'em all, and then try 'em again. Either that, or be prepared to sell at a loss several times!

Some dealers only recommend what they have on the shelf. Others only recommend whatever is the most profitable. Impartial advise can only come from someone with no pecuniary interest in the transaction.

The lowest price should determine WHERE, but only trial and error can determine WHAT.

Certainly nothing wrong with trying out kayaks, even if you haven't paddled before, just don't let it be your only criteria for selecting one. Do your homework.

I totally agree with what AMMODYTE posted above. I've seen many people buy what they thought was going to be the best kayak for fishing only to have to sell it for a much lesser price because it really wasn't the kayak for them. They found this out the hard way. Do searches on the internet. Check out 4-6 different web sites on fishing from kayaks. Find out what they(the posters on the site)are using. I did this a long time ago and ended up with a kayak I love to fish from. I'm still very happy with my decision because I didn't rush to buy.

Hi guys. It's been a long time since I've posted here. I've been fishing from kayaks for a few years now, but mostly in free-flowing rivers. What I've seen is that nearly any kayak can work for fishing. Some guys have Class III boats, others have some White Water boats (which haven't worked out well), most guys use recreational kayaks.

If you look at Sit-In Kayaks, seriously consider buying a spray skirt as well. If you look at SOT, that's not a concern. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

My primary suggestion is that kayaks FEEL tippy when you first use them. Don't overdo avoiding that. You may end up with something with rock-solid initial stability (doesn't feel tippy), but that is incredibly slow and difficult to turn. Remember that kayaks feel more stable when moving, and also remember that they have two kinds of stability initial and secondary. Secondary stability is the ability to recover from an unintentional "tip". Regardless of how they FEEL, recreational kayaks are faster, easier to maneuver, and more stable than canoes.

My kayak is a sit-in Perception America - a 13'6" recreational kayak. It's like a barcalounger on the water, but not as maneuverable pulling into eddies and going through rock gardens as some shorter yaks. Other popular sit-ins are Perception Swiftys, Dagger Blackwater series (available in several lengths), and the Wilderness Systems Pungo and Pamlico series (also available in several lengths). Popular Sit-On-Top models right now are Wilderness Systems Tarpon series, Ocean Kayak Drifter & Fish-n-Dive, and several models from Emotion.

Definitely try several models to see what makes you comfortable on the water. Demo days are created for exactly this situation. Find one or two and go. Consider a day-trip with a rental or an eco-tour, just to have at least a few hours worth of paddling experience before you test and an opportunity to prove to yourself what I'm telling you about the "tippiness". Once you fish from a kayak - you may as well sell any or all other boats you have. You won't need them anymore.

- Big D

I just bought my kayak last year so I guess I'm still green. But, Big D gives more good advice.

As for not needing other boats...I own a fw bassboat and i'm not ready to sell it yet, but I gotta admit I DID catch MORE fish outta my kayak last year and I had more fun doing it! icon14.gif