Hudson River Spring Fishing Thingy...

For our fourth try, a spring fishingget together on the banks of the Hudson River in the Town of Esopus is planned for the 17th of May. This is an informal get togehter in which we go after the Stripers in Freshwater. Potential fish go to 50+ pounds, with 30's not uncommon on the river. AS you may know, and like other fl*** type event, the cathcing has been sparse. Although the company and food are usually good. The launching is easy. There are good spots for shore caster to fling from and usually the guys oin the banks do better than I do. Especially in the evening. So if you're interested, drop a line here and as it get's closer I'll get more details. Hope to hear from some of you repeaters as well as some firstimers.

This is freshwater fishing for stripers. LAt year, or the year before, a kid from the bank took a 56 pounder about three miles up stream from where we will be.

TEchniques that are hoped to be tried this year...Chumming and chunking from an anchored spot. Also live herring off the down river slope of the flats. Tube and worm. Several attempts at night fishing this area too. I'll post some of the times we go so if there is anyone closer they may want ot join us. Scott

If I may add my name to the list..I'll be there. But please let me add some money this time for the food.

Eddie

------------------

GoneFlyFishing33.jpg

[This message has been edited by BassBlitz (edited 03-16-2003).]

No Man Stands as Tall as When He Stoops to Help a Child...

Yup, count me in - had a ball last year even if it was a bit slow. Flyfishing is tough - just got to crack the code. I'll be tying up flies that push a lot of water and maybe add a "rattle".

The "Psycho Flyfisherman" on the block (so says Stewie)"

• 1 month later...

Moving this back to the top. Herring are in and Stripers are showing up. Santiago II and myself are heading out tomorrow and starting our code craking on the flats. Tube and worm, chumming, dynamite. It's all the menuwink.gif

Plan is for the 17th of May, will get there early and grub is gaurenteed. Will get the Mrs to make some gooooood brownies too:grin:

This is freshwater on the Hudson for stripers. No license required. Fishing from shore can also be very productive. Chunk and sit. Have kayaks to spare if anyone interested. Scott

Recon report: Low incoming am tide. Fished edges of some enormous flats a little S of Catskill. Not a bump on flies, rubber, bombers but in one spot marked a pile of fish.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

they're there, but it's time to learnthe deciding factor. Worked the flats of Esopus. Much less debris than anticipated. Worked TnW, shad rapala, wild eye, no takers yet, still very cold. I'll get them. Friday is next shot at them. S

Yup, I have a few boats. I'll bring a few and you all can fight over them. Clothes. PLan for anything from the arctic to the equator...and then a sauna room too. S

PS I usually fishin breathable waders, and a dry top if cold. Sweats underneath as needed. S

Count me in.

I live in manhattan and am non-automobile. Is public transport a complete fantasy? Or if anyone coming from down this way I can maybe meet up and catch a ride. Otherwise can rent.

What time do we get started?

Looking forward to it already.

Hey saltrix. The train, metronorth, comes as up far as poughkeepsie. We're about 40 minutes from there. Nothing on this side of the river. Keep hunting and someone may be coming up from that area. I'm planning on getting there very early. Sunrise or before, to set up and rig, get some grub burning proably noonish. Will stay til midnight of people are interested. S