Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave Sikorski

what to troll???

24 posts in this topic

What trolls well for stripers, blues...etc behind a yak. I have two rods for trolling and not sure what to drag around.

hope to hit the salt for the first time this weekend. icon14.gif

thanks,

Dave

Strom wild eye's for me or a good Tube and worm set up. Either should keep you in fish smile.gif Also I'll pull a ratl trap, or even a stick bait. But usually a wildeye. Scott

PS, some will even (gasp) troll a fly on a fly rod. Seen more than one of those grab a couple of fish. S

What size wildeye are you trolling Scott? I seem to have a little better luck this time of year w/ a 4" bunker pattern. They don't seem as interested in the 6" version. Just curious. smile.gif

Although I fish with rubber all the time I have no luck trolling with it. Have torn them up trolling metal lipped deep diving plugs though. Pikie is my favorite with Rapala super shad rap close behind.I remove all but the back hook for safety and dont miss any.

barrell

p.s. trolling a fresh water bass popper off a fly rod is amazing when small fish are around.

I'm with Barrell on the metal lip deep divers - I like the Rapalas 7". But you should really try trolling the Tube & Worm. Pure fish beater - tipped w/ a nice sandworm this rig cannot be beat when trolled from a yak icon14.gif

Yeah, smaller size. I feel if I'm paddelin to somewhere, might as well troll something. All the baits mentioned are well deserved to troll, I just happen to carry wildeyes all the time smile.gif

The tube and worm is cook though. I used it for the first time at larchmont literally against the rock rip rap. JonS and I tangled tow fish each heading in different directions. His was substantially bigger than mine though. Always catch with the TnW. S

PS, make sure the rods are attached. I frequently troll with tthe rod across the yak under my leg. When they hit....damn but it really takes off smile.gif S

I put in two flush mount rod holders in back of the seat of my Tarpon 140. they angle out at about a 45 to spread out the baits. Gonna tie some leashes on the rods to keep them from swimming with the fish.

will see how everything works out this weekend...so far i've only tried fishing with one fly rod from the Yak....still need to get the skunk out.

-Dave

Dave - you may want to think about putting a rod holder in front. Especially with trolling, having a rod in a holder in front allows you to 1) see the fish hit and 2) get the rod out of the holder easier and faster once fish is on. My tarpon 140 is set up w/ 3 holders - 1 mounted in front and 2 right behind the seat. The holders behind me act as just that - rod holders - not for trolling. They are all Ram rod tube holders -I like these because they are adjustable to any position and will lock in tight.

I have found I don't know Jack about trolling

T&W

When trolling in 15 ft of water your depth finder registers a large 10 ft boulder directly underneath - a.) go over it holding course - potentially hanging up or at least fouling your rig with weed ? b.) hard o port \\ starboard - depending on current. Other options such as ?

c.) speed up ?

Highly erratic depths - boulder field pick average depth ? try and map the field in your head and take it deep ? vary speed ?

How do you work a bar from a kayak. Down current side parrall to bar ? over bar ?

Surface troll poppers wont pop on a troll but ever try it ? any good ? surface swimmers, Danny's ?

spots with good current ? hold to the side out of current and cast as you would from shore ? Take yak trough current on a troll ?

any advice, tips, tricks appreciated.