Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beachboy

jons yak fishing equipment

7 posts in this topic

hi jon,

i have a sit on top ocean yak. i check the web pages out on the west coast and see rhino bars with rod holders, etc. i've been looking around in NJ and PA for similar type stuff, but haven't found any places. do you know any places that have this stuff or is it all pretty much mail order and do it yourself?

thanks

Hi Beachboy,

I'm not exacltly sure what you're asking. If you were looking for a shop to install items on your yak then there are a couple that would probably accomidate you. Jersey paddler and John's shop. Most yakkers install their own stuff which I feel is the best way to go. It isn't hard and that way you know its done correctly. As to buying stuff to put on. That's a personal choice. If I were starting over with my yak there are definatel some things I'd do differently.

Items like rod holders, rynobars, etc. are usually bought via mail. When I've found items in shops often they are 2-3 times the price in a cataloque. Each model of yak is different and the what and how varies. Which model OK do you have?

I probably haven't answered your question fully so don't hesitate to ask more or refraze.

[This message has been edited by TimS (edited 12-21-2001).]

cool. you have given me a place to start. i've fished on my yak a bunch of times, but i don't have rod holders and some other stuff necessary for fishing so i get nervous that i'm going to loose a rod, etc.

i have a ocean yak malabu two. do you have any reccommendations for my yak? like do you think rhino bar with rod holders is a batter setup than flush mounted, etc?

any info at this point is good. so thanks in advance!!

Another option as to rod holders is there is now a kayak fishing seat with built in rod holders. I just ordered one to check out for my buddy's tackle shop. I got my kayak through him. Also if you'd like we could get together and you could see how I rigged mine. Where exactly are you located?

Could any one suggest a good line of open tops for bay area waters? It also seems that the west coast kayakers do most of the fishing with trolling motors. Are there any suggestions on local shops that can install mounts for electric trolling motors?

I've seen Malibu Ocean Sports advertise a Competitor 2 open top with mount and rod holders accessories. Are these guys good to deal with?

Beachboy,

I have the same model yak as you. I think I know some of the problems you are facing, or will face.

My kayak gets dual use as a fishing platform (paddled solo) or as a touring kayak (paddled solo or as a double) (and the ocassional trip in the surf to ride waves when the conditions are right, but that is another story smile.gif ). Since I was using the kayak with two people at times, I needed rod holders that I could both reach from the middle seat, and not be in the way when the front and back seats were being used. That meant I needed a rod holder I could remove when not in use. Mounting them behind the back seat would be too far from the middle seat to get to. I also needed something that had a mount that wouldn't stick up to far and get in the way of paddling. I finally went with Scotty Powerlock rod holders with the optional flush mounts. I liked these because they also locked the rod into place for a little extra security.

They are mounted back where the rear paddler in a dual paddler setup would have his/her thighs, just inside the kayak. I had my brother hold the rod holder and a rod in place to make sure they weren;t in the way of my paddle stroke before we did any drilling. Since the flush mountsare open on the bottom, my brother was nice enough to shape a piece of round plexiglass to glue to the bottom. I didn't think the little rubber caps that came with them would keep water out in the surf. A lot of marine sealant and the Ocean Kayak pop rivets rounded out the installation process.

The disadvantage of these rod holders are that I cannot point the rods straight up. The are always out to the side, like an outrigger. Good if I want to troll, but I don't think I want to get caught by a big wave with a rod held this way.

Now if the seat with rod holders JonS is talking about was available when I was doing this, I probably would have done things differently. I thought about adding rod holders to the seats I have, but the seat backs were not stiff enough.

One other problem I have had was paddle clips, most notable where to put them. I don't want anything sticking up where it might get in the way of any of the paddling positions in the boat (which is basically the whole boat). I thought of pop riveting some two sided velcro loops to the side, but it would be a hassle getting the paddle in and out of those. Any suggestions?

I can take some digital photos of the racks and mounting placement if you are interested. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me.

------------------

John B

mako@bellatlantic.net

[This message has been edited by John B (edited 12-21-2000).]

JohnB - I bought some rubber paddle clips, which are actually rod holders which work great. They were only $3.50 a pair. We posted the info here a while back but unfortunately the search engine is turned off at present. The kayak board isn't very larger and you can go back and find the info. They're very low profile and all rubber. I don't use them as rod holders because on my yak I've got a foredect where I've got a bungee net and I just push my paddle blade under it to secure the paddle while fishing.