Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigFisher

Being Seen

8 posts in this topic

For as much as I enjoy fishing from my kayak, I always feel the need to keep a nervous eye out for boat traffic. Complacancy is a killer...

Most my fishing ranges from the Rye, NH beaches up into Great Bay and there's traffic from pleasure craft and working boats.

For as much as I try to stay out of the major traffic lanes, some times the fish throw me the whammy and I find myself near a channel marker with the sound of a whirring outboard not too far off.

I've added a hunter orange cap to my arsenal and am considering a flag of the type that you put on a kid's bicycle.

What do you do to avoid the "Gee Mister...I didn't see you there" ?

Eric

You can use more bright colors on things like your PFDs and paddle blades. I also keep an air horn handy. Nothing easy to suggest, you do have to stay on yr toes. Good to have a buddy along to watch your back if you fish near heavily trafficked channels.

You fish an area I've wanted to try. A guide told me there was a busy bunch of wahoo boaters there, but I suspected he just didn't want to see more yaks in his spots.

Big, you know the rule: assume none sees you ever and act accordingly!

I spent too many years around yahoo boaters to trust them one bit, so I stay the heck away from them! Great Bay is "Bayliner Central", and I learned real quick to be damn careful up there! I was alone off Adams point last year fishing a little rip just off the channel, and as boats went by, I remember seeing that people were not paying any attention to me or anything else.

The upside to Portsmouth is that there are miles and miles of water that pleasure boaters are afraid of, and that is where I stay. Back channel, Pierce Island, Pepperal Cove, you name it. Even there, you have to keep an eye on the "blitzchasers". I don't want to single out the pleasure boaters too much, or give fisherman a blanket pass, but at least fishermen are paying some attention to their surroundings just because of their reason for being there in the first place.

Jim, shoot us an email and come on up. There are no fish here, but we'll show you some great places to paddle around and look really cool

wink.gif

John Wade hit the nail on the head. You will catch more fish by getting as far away from all the boat traffic as you can. Shallow flats that everyone ignores can hold big fluke. Small or short deep holes against mud banks will hold good size striper. Maybe only one bass in each hole but some shallow areas can have a series of holes. Check along the banks.

You wont discover secret spots untill you ween yourself from the hotspots that every tom, dick, and harry knows about.

Then visibility will not be such a big deal.

Barrell

John Wade hit the nail on the head. You will catch more fish by getting as far away from all the boat traffic as you can. Shallow flats that everyone ignores can hold big fluke. Small or short deep holes against mud banks will hold good size striper. Maybe only one bass in each hole but some shallow areas can have a series of holes. Check along the banks.

You wont discover secret spots untill you ween yourself from the hotspots that every tom, dick, and harry knows about.

Then visibility will not be such a big deal.

Barrell