Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
magikbbg

Spring time tog

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Lol I set my self up there. I better not ask where I can get a bucket load of Asian crabs then. :p

 

The only thing I hate about crabs is when they pinch you it hurts ! Scares me seriously lol.

 

How do you carry your crabs around? Seriously lol I was thinking about carrying them in a sack on my surf belt.

 

Ugh this conversation is Turning out weird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Originally Posted by magikbbg View Post

Lol I set my self up there. I better not ask where I can get a bucket load of Asian crabs then. tongue.gif

The only thing I hate about crabs is when they pinch you it hurts ! Scares me seriously lol.

How do you carry your crabs around? Seriously lol I was thinking about carrying them in a sack on my surf belt.

Ugh this conversation is Turning out weird



you have to learn how to hold the crabs.....I put them in a bucket.



 



but when you pick them up, push their claws underneath them, thumb on the claws, and finger on the top shell. Unless you hold them for a long time, they won't be able to work their claws free.



 



If my 7yo can do it, so can you....It takes just a couple crabs to learn how...


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put 1 finger behind each elbow---sort of in the crabs "armpits". It takes a bit of practice. Of course if you use greenies cut in half they won't bite you. If you carry the crabs in a pail DO NOT put any water in it. (unless the pail has holes in the bottom--then you can dunk it every so often)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah ok good tips. Ever pre cut the crabs in half before fishing?

 

 

If you happened to be fishing.... And you used a bait rod for striped bass say a 11 footer medium heavy rated 3-6oz paired with 50lb braided. And you decided to switch over to blackfishing on that rod... That is a bad idea right? I'm just assuming because I remember I broke a cheap rod using braided for black fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


If your looking for something to carry your crabs in I found that contaners that you have in your kitchen work the best. Things like empty coffee cans or peanut cans work the best. Just get one and poke holes in it and tie a string to it and it works awsome.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also going to give spring blackfish a try. Last fall was the first time I targeted them and I had a blast. A couple of questions.

 

1. Is water temp going to be a big deal? I was really doing well in the fall when the water was 55 degrees, definitely not going to see those temps this April.

 

2. Will the fish be in the same pattern as they were in November, (i.e., on the same shallow rocks and reefs)? Deeper below 50 degrees?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Originally Posted by carp13 View Post

I am also going to give spring blackfish a try. Last fall was the first time I targeted them and I had a blast. A couple of questions.

1. Is water temp going to be a big deal? I was really doing well in the fall when the water was 55 degrees, definitely not going to see those temps this April.

2. Will the fish be in the same pattern as they were in November, (i.e., on the same shallow rocks and reefs)? Deeper below 50 degrees?

Thanks.



 The colder the water, the deeper they go. That's all I know. I was catchin nice size, but not giant tog in november from shore.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Originally Posted by magikbbg View Post

Ah ok good tips. Ever pre cut the crabs in half before fishing?

If you happened to be fishing.... And you used a bait rod for striped bass say a 11 footer medium heavy rated 3-6oz paired with 50lb braided. And you decided to switch over to blackfishing on that rod... That is a bad idea right? I'm just assuming because I remember I broke a cheap rod using braided for black fishing.



I wouldnt want to use my 11ft rod cause it's a totally different action set....Not good for working the rocks you are standing on. I use my 7ft rods when fishing the rocks.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Originally Posted by magikbbg View Post

Will be up in ct in a few weeks. I hope to report back with some catches from your advice guys.

Do you guys ever use blackfish jigs from shore?



I was going to try some shrimp gulp jigging, but I havent' done so yet. I have only used live green and asian shore crabs cut in half. Rip off the claws because that's what the fish will do first and could rip your bait right off. I catch my own bait from the rocks exposed on the beach on the low tide before I am going to go fishing at exactly the same spot (well 50 ft over anyway).


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I see. I just read up on them. I forgot about those. Well I am not sure I can tell you the difference between using then and a standard white flat jig of the same shape and weight. I'll try one out. Might even try a fluke jig. The ones like the ball and chain, though I realize you loose some traction on the bait, but not as much as a standard rig. I am also going to try using egg sinkers this spring and see if the do better than the fluke style rigs I made up last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.