Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
magikbbg

Spring time tog

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Hi guys. Hopped over from ny LI forum :p

Thinking about visiting family in ct in April (really an excuse to go fishing).

Anyway was wondering what strategies you guys use for shore fishing for tog? We don't have a spring or summer tog season here :( so by fall its all crabs. But I remember using worms and steamers for early tog and the little crabs with one big claw.

I'm looking to go to the mouth of a river. I've never caught anything there but tog and porgy I wonder if you Guys have caught bass in those areas off the boulders?

Anyways was wondering what kind of bait you guys suggests for April tog? Also I've been using a rig with 3 ft leader with two droppers with two hooks and a weight attached to the tip.

Thanks for your help CT guys :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by magikbbg View Post

Hi guys. Hopped over from ny LI forum tongue.gif

Thinking about visiting family in ct in April (really an excuse to go fishing).

Anyway was wondering what strategies you guys use for shore fishing for tog? We don't have a spring or summer tog season here frown.gif so by fall its all crabs. But I remember using worms and steamers for early tog and the little crabs with one big claw.

I'm looking to go to the mouth of a river. I've never caught anything there but tog and porgy I wonder if you Guys have caught bass in those areas off the boulders?

Anyways was wondering what kind of bait you guys suggests for April tog? Also I've been using a rig with 3 ft leader with two droppers with two hooks and a weight attached to the tip.

Thanks for your help CT guys smile.gif

You can catch black sea bass off the rocks. Though not entirely sure which river you are talking about. Here on my rocks where I am I catch Porgy (Scup), Black Sea Bass, Tog. I think I or my step father cause a rudder fish or two also, but I don't remember clearly if that's so...I just seem to remember catch something like that this past summer.

Luckily next to the rocks, I have a sandy bight, so I can also catch flounder just a few 10s of yards away.

If you want to catch togs, buy a few tog rigs from a local tackle shop and some Asian crabs and fish in the rocks. And yes, in April you can use sand worms ($$$) and clams. Or green crabs cut in half. Don't believe the nonsense about togs having soft mouths in the spring. I hear that some togs are caught from shore in Harkness Park, Waterford.

Quote:

Really that mouth softening thing is BS?

Ill take my crabs then. I've fished that spot. But for my older fam members the walk kills their knees. Lol

shrimp and sand fleas work good too. I just catch green and asian crabs the low tide before I am going tog fishing. I cut them in half. I know a freind of mine who cuts them in quarters and does great. His 9 year old son caught first place in one of last year's tournements. He's actually a small downeaster commercial fisherman, and he's quite good at what he does.

You know I'm not gonna like sand fleas still scare me. I guess I could do that but since I'm making a long drive in gonna come with bait just Incase :). So I've tried buck tailing in Thames river before but there's so much kelp or something lol. One time I was determined not to lose my bucktail so I just dragged in whatever was on the end. Turned out I uprooted a 5 foot kelp leaf. Felt bad afterward.

Any bass tips for this area? If they're around this time of year?

Another off topic question for you ct guys. You know the CT river way up north where the water is brackish and gross tbh. Is there anything alive in there?

Nope, no fish in CT. I suggest you go to RI. I hear they have so many stripersthere that they dry'em out in the sun an use them as firewood. :shock:

So that's what those 4x4x8 foot bundles of stripers are for. :idea:

I'm only going because I have fam there lol. And don't worry I catch and release all my fish rarely keeping any especially from another state :p but really I heard my dad saying he caught catfish and eels in that ct river way up north in Windsor locks when he lived there.

I'm only going because I have fam there lol. And don't worry I catch and release all my fish rarely keeping any especially from another state :p but really I heard my dad saying he caught catfish and eels in that ct river way up north in Windsor locks when he lived there.

Besides catfish and eels, the CTR on occasion gives up stripers, waleye, bucketmouths, bronzebacks, perch, aligators, and others. But there are no fish in Connecticut. :D

I'm gonna try out the ct river when I'm at my uncles home I guess! You'll probably be right about no fish in ct :p

You guys are lucky you have those "opportunity" places where you can keep short fish I think that's a great idea. How's that been working out in terms of Enviormental impact?

Quote:

You know I'm not gonna like sand fleas still scare me. I guess I could do that but since I'm making a long drive in gonna come with bait just Incase smile.gif

Well you are probably right....You do have to have time to go at low tide and find them under the smaller rocks you can pick up (20-30lb rocks), then wait until high tide when the tog move in around the bigger rocks to eat crabs, snails, or the occasional broken mussel, clam, oyster etc etc.

sandfleas do work great though. You just gotta rake them up out of the intertidal zone. They are just like shrimp, just a little different.

Thank you for the tips! But... Dude they do not look like shrimp they look like alien ocean armadillos with big fuzzy spear tips. I saw hundreds of them in the sand in low tide in Long Island. Jeez they are ugly looking. Lol

Might still try the ct river I don't know how to access the water beyond that bridge in Windsor locks but I think I can walk behind that train station. I never fished in that kind of place that's fresh water right? Lol

I can't wait to go I'm gonna go make rigs !